Hurricane Irma made landfall in South Florida on Sunday 10 September local time, causing flooding and significant damage as it moved north along Florida’s west coast. It is forecast to move inland over Florida Panhandle and south-western Georgia. A state of emergency has been declared in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama and Virginia.
Important information about your travel cover
If you purchased your policy before 12 noon AEDT on Friday 8 September, your policy covers this event. There is no cover for this event for policies purchased after this time.
Tips for travellers
- Stay safe. Follow instructions from local authorities.
Need emergency medical assistance? QBE Assist is here to help.
- Call +61 3 8523 2800 or international toll free number
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Injured or ill? Keep itemised receipts of your overseas medical expenses. Also keep medical and admission/discharge reports from hospitals as these are useful when processing your claim.
- Contact your airline or tour operator to check if tourist services have been affected.
- If you need to change your travel arrangements, contact your airline, cruise company or travel agent for assistance in the first instance. Please contact QBE Assist to discuss your plans before making any changes.
While our policies have different limits and levels of cover, the following information will help when making a claim.
- If you need to stay in your location longer than expected, keep receipts for additional accommodation. You may be able to claim for these costs, depending on your policy and cover. Try to choose comparable accommodation to where you were staying before your travel plans were disrupted.
- If you incur additional meal expenses, try to keep itemised receipts. There may be coverage under your policy for reimbursement of meals.
- If your flight is cancelled or delayed, you can claim cancellation costs or additional costs to defer or reschedule your flight, provided the additional cost is not greater than the cancellation fees or lost deposits which would have been incurred had the trip been cancelled.
- You can lodge your claim while you are away or when you get home. Making a claim is easy. Just complete a claim form online at www.qbe.com.au/travel, call +61 3 8523 2777 or email email@example.com
- Visit www.smartraveller.gov.au for travel advice updates.
QBE Customer Service
QBE Assist medical and emergency
+61 3 8523 2777
+61 3 8523 2800