Information for our bushfire-affected customers
Damage to homes and businesses caused by bushfires can be devastating and severe, and we’re working hard to support our customers as quickly as possible.
We have additional team members in place ready to take your calls and lodge claims.
How to claim
If you’re insured directly with QBE, call us on 133 QBE (133 723) and press 2 for Claims.
If you bought your policy from an intermediary or your financial institution, contact them to make your claim.
If you need to make a claim due to bushfire damage, please contact us as soon as you’re safe and able to do so. While our assessors and tradespeople can’t enter affected areas until emergency services declare it safe, notifying us of your claim as soon as possible helps us speed up the claims process to get you back on your feet sooner.
Government clean-up scheme
The Victorian, New South Wales and South Australian governments have announced they will fund the removal of debris for both insured and uninsured residential and commercial properties destroyed by the bushfires, so communities can start rebuilding as soon as possible.
To begin the process, customers should register themselves for this service as soon as possible, as detailed in the links below:
- New South Wales: https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/nsw-bushfire-clean-register-now (or call Service NSW on 13 77 88 to register details and provide consent for access to your land)
- Victoria: https://www.vic.gov.au/bushfire-clean-up-program
- South Australia: https://www.greenindustries.sa.gov.au/register-your-waste-needs
Removing the debris from a bushfire-impacted home is a key step in the recovery and healing of our customers and communities. QBE is working closely with the relevant authorities to understand the evolving procedures so we can support our customers to get back on their feet as soon as possible.
Most importantly, we’d like to ensure the safety of you and your family is paramount. It’s important that you follow the advice of local authorities and see here for useful content surrounding preparing for a bushfire, staying safe during a bushfire, and safely returning to your home after a bushfire.
- In an emergency dial 000
- Always follow the advice and direction of emergency services
- If you’re in urgent need of ‘make safe’ repairs, temporary accommodation or emergency cash payments, please contact us straight away
- Return to your property only when the authorities deem it safe
- Take photographs or videos of any damage to help our assessors with your claim
- Discard any damaged goods that may pose a health-risk. Don’t forget to take photographs and, if safe to do so, keep a sample of the material to show our assessors
- Be aware of scammers offering assistance with claims or repairs. Always contact us first to ensure the works are authorised by a reputable company that guarantees its work. See here for more information.
- It’s ok if you don’t know your policy details when you contact us; with your name and address we’ll find it for you.
We cover fire damage, including for bushfire, under the following policies:
- Home building
- Home contents
- Motor vehicle
For the latest information on bushfires around Australia, please listen to local radio and monitor information from the emergency sources listed on our Catastrophe hub.