Information for our customers affected by the south-east Australia Earthquake
Earthquakes can cause serious damage to homes, businesses and communities, and may also endanger lives.
If you’ve been impacted by south-east Australia’s recent earthquake we’re here to help. We have additional team members ready to take your calls and lodge claims. Our assessors and tradespeople are prepared to ensure we can support you as quickly as possible if you have sustained any damage.
How to claim
If you’re insured directly with QBE, call us on 133 QBE (133 723) and press 2 for Claims.
If you bought your policy from an intermediary or your financial institution, contact them to make your claim.
If you need to make a claim due to earthquake damage, please contact us as soon as you’re safe and able to do so. While our assessors and tradespeople can’t enter affected areas until emergency services declare it safe, notifying us of your claim as soon as possible helps us start the claims process to get you back on your feet sooner.
Most importantly, we want you and your family to be safe so it’s important that you follow the advice of emergency services and local authorities.
- Always follow the advice and direction of emergency services representatives
- Return to your property only when the authorities deem it safe
- Be careful around trees and buildings which may be unstable following the earthquake
- If you’re in urgent need of ‘make safe’ repairs, temporary accommodation or emergency cash payments, please contact us straight away
- Take photographs of damage, including cracks in walls and floors and any debris that has fallen out before cleaning up. If safe to do so, keep a sample of the material to support your claim
- Discard any damaged goods that may pose a health-risk
- Be aware of aftershocks. Assess your home or building for damage to walls, chimneys, water sewerage and electricity services and roof and evacuate if necessary
- Be aware of scammers offering assistance with claims or repairs. Always contact us first to ensure the works are authorised by a reputable company that guarantees its work - see here for more information
- It’s ok if you don’t know your policy details when you contact us; with your name and address we’ll find it for you.
Read more on what to do during and after an earthquake.
We cover earthquake damage under the following policies:
- Home building
- Home contents
- Motor vehicle
- Pleasure craft
We’d like to assure you urgent assessments and building repair services remain available and permitted in locations under current COVID-19 government mandated shutdowns and restrictions.
This includes emergency make-safes, repairs necessary to ensure homes are habitable and critical repairs required to mitigate the risk of further damage to homes. It also includes urgent repairs to damaged business premises required to ensure the safety or security of buildings.
The safety of our customers remains our top priority and our assessors, suppliers and QBE team members continue to operate in line with COVID-19 Government requirements and health and safety standards.
For the latest information on emerging and current weather conditions across Australia, please listen to the local radio and monitor information from the emergency sources listed on our Catastrophe hub.