Information for our customers affected by the Townsville storms and floods
We realise that once the rain hits, that’s just the beginning. Our thoughts are with those impacted by this event and we’re doing everything we can to help get you back on your feet.
We’ve initiated our Catastrophe Management Plan and have additional team members ready to take your calls and lodge claims. We’re mobilising our assessors and tradespeople to ensure we can support you as quickly as possible should you have sustained any damage.
What to do next
- Make sure it’s safe to return to your property and wait until the authorities have given the all-clear for entering any flooded area.
- Don’t turn on any electrical appliance, including lights, until an electrician can check it’s safe to do so.
- Wear appropriate safety clothing including boots, gloves, eye protection, and long pants and sleeves.
- Before starting the clean-up, capture images and details of the damage to your property and vehicles.
- Lodge your claim.
You can begin the clean-up process prior to contact with your insurer, providing it’s safe for you to do so. Ensure all damage is documented through photographs and an inventory before you begin to safely dispose of any items. This could include keeping samples of carpets and taking photographs of water tidemarks on walls and furnishings. It’s also worth starting a list of what’s damaged and note whether it can be repaired or cleaned.
Mould may occur due to the presence of water in your property and from changes to humidity in the area. We advise customers to lodge their claim, so we can appoint the appropriate expert to respond as soon as possible.
With temporary accommodation currently limited in Townsville, we encourage customers to contact us via the contacts below to discuss alternative options.
Commercial or Farm properties
Our assessors will need to establish the cause of the damage as quickly as possible and review each policy together with you and your intermediary before the next steps can be actioned. So please lodge your claim as soon as you can so we can get things underway.
- Always follow the advice and direction of emergency services
- Never try to drive through flood-affected areas
- For general help in storms and floods, ring the SES on 132 500.
Who to contact
If you’re insured directly with QBE, call us on 133 QBE (133 723) and press 2 for Claims.
If you bought your policy from an intermediary or your financial institution, contact them to make your claim, or alternatively contact QBE directly on 1800 023 387.
It’s ok if you don’t know your policy details when you contact us; with your name and address we’ll find it for you.