About QBE Hong Kong
QBE has been serving Hong Kong for more than a century. Today, QBE Hong Kong operations include QBE Hongkong & Shanghai Insurance Limited, QBE General Insurance (Hong Kong) Limited, and QBE Mortgage Insurance (Asia) Limited. As a leading general insurer, QBE Hong Kong provides a comprehensive range of non-life insurance solutions for both business and personal customers. QBE Hong Kong operates through an extensive network of professional insurance agents and brokers and has an exclusive distribution partnership with Hang Seng Bank and Manulife. QBE Hong Kong is part of the QBE Insurance Group, a general insurance and reinsurance company.
QBE opened a representative office in Guangzhou, China in 1998. This office provides a valuable presence in the principal city of Guangdong Province and enables QBE to develop business opportunities in mainland China.
QBE opened its Macau branch in July 1985, building its business to become one of Macau’s major general insurers. The QBE Macau team is well supported by an established network of committed intermediaries including several of Macau’s substantial producers and has built its reputation by developing solid, professional association with agents and brokers.
We give people the confidence to achieve their ambitions
Everyone has ambitions and goals – both personal and professional. We give people the confidence to achieve them by helping them manage risks so they can focus on the outcome they desire, not the potential barriers holding them back.
To be the insurer that builds the strongest partnerships with customers
Our customers are defined very broadly and include our major trading partners, brokers, agents, insureds, policyholders, claimants as well as our most important asset, our own people.
Our QBE DNA
Everything we do at QBE is underpinned by our DNA – because we know it's not just what we do that matters, it's how we do it that makes the difference.
At QBE, when we show up for our people, customers, communities or shareholders across the globe:
- We are customer-centred
- We are technical experts
- We are diverse
- We are fast-paced
- We are courageous
- We are accountable
- We are a team
- QBE Hong Kong’s Digital Claims platform won the Claims Initiative of the Year – Hong Kong Award at the Insurance Asia Awards 2019.
- QBE Hong Kong was ranked No. 1 in general insurance in terms of underwriting profit in Hong Kong with a market share of 11%.
- QBE Hong Kong was ranked No. 2 in general insurance in terms of net written premium (NWP) in Hong Kong with a market share of 5.7%.
- QBE won ‘The Best Insurance Company Overall – Asia Pacific’ Reactions Global Award 2012.
- QBE Insurance Group acquired Hang Seng General Insurance (Hong Kong) Company Limited, and renamed it as QBE General Insurance (Hong Kong) Limited.
- Establishment of the QBE Foundation, a global CSR initiative of QBE Group.
- QBE Hong Kong was appointed exclusively by Cathay Pacific Airways and Dragon Airlines to provide international comprehensive online travel insurance solutions for their passengers.
- Launch of ‘QBE Connect’, a premium claims service dedicated to the customers in employees’ compensation business line.
- Hongkong & Shanghai Insurance Co. Ltd. merged with QBE Insurance (Hong Kong) Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of QBE Group and renamed as QBE Hongkong & Shanghai Insurance Ltd.
- Hongkong & Shanghai Insurance Co. Ltd. was established as joint venture between China Construction Bank (Asia) Corporation Limited (formerly Bank of America [Asia]) and QBE Insurance Group.
- QBE Insurance Group Limited evolved from the successful merger of the Queensland Insurance Co. Ltd., Bankers and Traders Insurance Co. Ltd. and the Equitable Life and General Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Shanghai Fire & Marine Co. Ltd was renamed as Hongkong & Shanghai Insurance Co. Ltd.
- QBE established its representation in Hong Kong.
- Shanghai Fire & Marine Co. Ltd. moved to Hong Kong.
- Shanghai Fire & Marine Co. Ltd. was founded in Shanghai.
- QBE traces its origin back to the North Queensland Insurance Company Ltd founded in Australia.
QBE's vision is to be the most successful global insurer and reinsurer in the eyes of our customers, our people, our shareholders, and in the communities we serve. This vision lies at the heart of everything we do – indeed we run our business based on this principle. Ultimately, we believe that our ability to effectively manage risks helps our customers turn their business ambitions and plans into reality. Simply put, we help make things possible for our clients.
Covering all types of transport on roads and rails
QBE Hong Kong is one of the main insurers of transport in Hong Kong.
QBE Hong Kong provides employees’ compensation and public liability insurance to MTR, the operator of Hong Kong’s mass transit system, which carries 5.3 million passengers each weekday. We have also been the insurer of one of Hong Kong’s main bus companies, Citybus, for more than 10 years, insuring their fleet of around 1,000 buses. Up to one quarter of the registered motorcycles in Hong Kong are also insured with QBE Hong Kong and we are a leading private car insurer in the territory.
At QBE, we have been playing an active role in the communities in which we operate since our founding. In 2011, the QBE Insurance Group launched its major global corporate responsibility initiative: the QBE Foundation.
The Foundation’s philosophy is to support charities that help people overcome disadvantages, strengthen their abilities, and help them live more independently, successfully and productively.
Our objectives include making a difference in key areas that align with QBE’s vision and values. We also seek to drive employee engagement by developing networking and a strong team-based culture. We strive to maximise the return and impact for any collection, distribution and allocation of philanthropic resources.
Through the Foundation's initiatives, we aim to make a difference in the lives of underprivileged children, youth and elderly in the city.
QBE Hong Kong is part of the QBE Insurance Group. The QBE Insurance Group has been listed on the Australian Stock Exchange for more than 30 years. As a member company of the QBE Insurance Group, QBE Hong Kong is backed by the expertise and security of the organisation’s fiscal strength and global network.
Please visit the QBE Insurance Group website for the Group Annual Report.