About QBE Hong Kong
QBE has been serving Hong Kong for more than a century. Today, QBE Hong Kong operations include QBE Hongkong & Shanghai Insurance Limited, QBE General Insurance (Hong Kong) Limited, and QBE Mortgage Insurance (Asia) Limited. As a leading general insurer, QBE Hong Kong provides a comprehensive range of non-life insurance solutions for both business and personal customers. QBE Hong Kong operates through an extensive network of professional insurance agents and brokers and has an exclusive distribution partnership with Manulife. QBE Hong Kong is part of the QBE Insurance Group, a general insurance and reinsurance company.
QBE opened a representative office in Guangzhou, China in 1998. This office provides a valuable presence in the principal city of Guangdong Province and enables QBE to develop business opportunities in mainland China.
QBE opened its Macau branch in July 1985, building its business to become one of Macau’s major general insurers. The QBE Macau team is well supported by an established network of committed intermediaries including several of Macau’s substantial producers and has built its reputation by developing solid, professional association with agents and brokers.
QBE - enabling a more resilient future
At QBE we’re driven by our purpose of enabling a more resilient future – helping those around us build strength and embrace change to their advantage.
We’ve been cultivating resilience since 1886, when our founders started a marine insurance company to give early pioneers a safeguard against uncertainty.
Today, we’re still giving our customers confidence to explore, innovate and take measured risks, secure in the knowledge they’re covered by a strong insurer.
For our communities, our purpose drives us to build resilience and enrich lives. We are incredibly proud of our global disaster relief partnerships with Red Cross and Save the Children, through which we are investing to improve the capacity of local communities to prepare, anticipate, respond and recover from disasters.
Our approach to sustainability forms an essential part of our ability to deliver on our purpose and make a positive and impactful contribution to the environments, economies and communities in which we operate.
To be the most consistent and innovative risk partner
At QBE, we’re striving for greater consistency across everything we do. Our aim is to do things more consistently than our competitors, whether it’s in the experience we provide our customers and partners, the performance of our business or the values that connect our people.
Innovation represents our focus on continuous improvement and growth. This includes developing new and innovative products and experiences and continually evolving to make it easier to do business with us.
We believe being the most consistent and innovative risk partner will see us build the strongest partnerships with customers and partners but, importantly, it will also see us deliver more value.
- QBE Hong Kong was awarded HR Asia Best Companies to Work for in Asia 2023
- QBE Asia named Insurance Business Asia List, Top Insurance Workplaces 2022, Asia
- QBE Hong Kong’s Digital Motor Claims initiative won the InsuranceAsia News Awards for Excellence 2020 - Claims Initiative of the Year, Hong Kong.
- QBE Hong Kong’s Digital Claims solution was ranked as Top 3 finalist of the Outstanding Claims Management Award - General Insurance at the Hong Kong Insurance Awards 2020.
- QBE Asia was recognised as Top Insurance Workplaces 2020 by Insurance Business Asia
- QBE Hong Kong’s Digital Claims won the Digital General Insurance Initiative of the Year, Hong Kong Award at the Insurance Asia Awards 2020.
- QBE Hong Kong’s Digital Claims platform won the Claims Initiative of the Year – Hong Kong Award at the Insurance Asia Awards 2019.
- QBE Hong Kong was ranked No. 1 in general insurance in terms of underwriting profit in Hong Kong with a market share of 11%.
- QBE Hong Kong was ranked No. 2 in general insurance in terms of net written premium (NWP) in Hong Kong with a market share of 5.7%.
- QBE won ‘The Best Insurance Company Overall – Asia Pacific’ Reactions Global Award 2012.
- QBE Insurance Group acquired Hang Seng General Insurance (Hong Kong) Company Limited, and renamed it as QBE General Insurance (Hong Kong) Limited.
- Establishment of the QBE Foundation, a global CSR initiative of QBE Group.
- QBE Hong Kong was appointed exclusively by Cathay Pacific Airways and Dragon Airlines to provide international comprehensive online travel insurance solutions for their passengers.
- Launch of ‘QBE Connect’, a premium claims service dedicated to the customers in employees’ compensation business line.
- Hongkong & Shanghai Insurance Co. Ltd. merged with QBE Insurance (Hong Kong) Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of QBE Group and renamed as QBE Hongkong & Shanghai Insurance Ltd.
- Hongkong & Shanghai Insurance Co. Ltd. was established as joint venture between China Construction Bank (Asia) Corporation Limited (formerly Bank of America [Asia]) and QBE Insurance Group.
- QBE Insurance Group Limited evolved from the successful merger of the Queensland Insurance Co. Ltd., Bankers and Traders Insurance Co. Ltd. and the Equitable Life and General Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Shanghai Fire & Marine Co. Ltd was renamed as Hongkong & Shanghai Insurance Co. Ltd.
- QBE established its representation in Hong Kong.
- Shanghai Fire & Marine Co. Ltd. moved to Hong Kong.
- Shanghai Fire & Marine Co. Ltd. was founded in Shanghai.
- QBE traces its origin back to the North Queensland Insurance Company Ltd founded in Australia.
At QBE, we have been playing an active role in the communities in which we operate since our founding. In 2011, the QBE Insurance Group launched its major global corporate responsibility initiative: the QBE Foundation.
The Foundation’s philosophy is to support charities that help people overcome disadvantages, strengthen their abilities, and help them live more independently, successfully and productively.
Our objectives include making a difference in key areas that align with QBE’s vision and values. We also seek to drive employee engagement by developing networking and a strong team-based culture. We strive to maximise the return and impact for any collection, distribution and allocation of philanthropic resources.
Through the Foundation's initiatives, we aim to make a difference in the lives of underprivileged children, youth and elderly in the city.
QBE Hong Kong is part of the QBE Insurance Group. The QBE Insurance Group has been listed on the Australian Stock Exchange for more than 30 years. As a member company of the QBE Insurance Group, QBE Hong Kong is backed by the expertise and security of the organisation’s fiscal strength and global network.
Please visit the QBE Insurance Group website for the Group Annual Report.