Home/Property/Farm claims FAQs

You may have to prove you've suffered a loss covered by your policy before we pay for it. If you make a claim under your policy, we may ask for one of the following:

  • Credit card or bank statements
  • Purchase receipts
  • Instruction manuals or handbooks included with the purchased items
  • Guarantee or warranty certificates
  • Photographs or videos of the items

Homeowners insurance helps protect against certain mishaps, or "perils". Common perils covered by a homeowners policy include:

  • Fire and smoke
  • Lightening strikes
  • Wind
  • Hail
  • Vandalism or malicious mischief
  • Theft
  • Damage from a car or aircraft
  • Explosion
  • Weight of ice, snow or sleet
  • Water damage - Sudden and accidental rupture or overflow of household appliances or plumbing, heating, or cooling systems within the apartment. Water damage from a flood requires a separate flood policy. Water damage from backup of sewers, drains or overflow from a sump pump typically requires additional coverage options.

A homeowners insurance policy may cover damage from a number of incidents, but it likely also comes with a list of scenarios that it won't cover. Please review your policy to determine what perils are covered under your policy or call your agent for help.

Flood coverage requires a separate flood policy. Please review your policy or contact your agent for more information.

A typical homeowners policy offers coverage for water damage in some situations. Most standard homeowners policies provide protection from water damage if the cause is sudden and accidental. For example, drywall is drenched after a water heater ruptures. However, there are situations where water damage is not covered. These include:

  • Damage from unresolved maintenance issues (e.g. continuous leaking of a plumbing fixture)
  • Repair or replacement of the source of the water damage (e.g. replacing a rupture water heater)
  • Water backup from a sewer or drain (typically requires additional coverage options to be purchased)
  • Flood - requires a separate Flood policy. Flooding can occur from storms, over-saturated ground, overflowing or surging bodies of water such as rivers, ponds, lakes and oceans. You can purchase flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program.

Please review your policy to determine whether water damage is covered by your policy or call your agent for help.

The applicable coverage deductible will be subtracted from the damage estimate of the covered repairs. If the damage amount is less than your deductible, you will be responsible for the cost of the repairs.

  • Yes, you may choose your own contractor to make repairs. However, it may be necessary to arrange for an independent estimate of the cost of repairs.
  • In some territories, QBE can offer to refer a contractor from our Contractor Repair Program. Ask your QBE Claim Professional to learn more.
The lender wants to make sure you make the repairs that are needed. As a condition of you loan agreement with your lender, you agreed to allow you lender to take steps to protect their financial interest. In some cases, the lender may use the insurance proceeds to pay off any delinquent loan payments.

Contact your mortgage lender. Typically, you will need to endorse the check and send it to your lender. Your lender may disperse the funds back to you in one lump sum or provide a portion for the down payment for the contractor to start repairs and make subsequent payments as repairs are completed.


Contact your mortgage lender for more information.