Mortgage protection tips

You can report your claim in one of the following ways:

  • Contact your agent
  • Call QBE at 844-723-2524 (844-QBE-CLAIMS), select the option to report a new claim and then select the option for property claims.
  • Email the loss information (see below) to:
  • Fax the loss information (see below) to: 888-723-2567

Loss information to include in an e-mail or fax:

  • Policy number
  • Insured name and address
  • Contact information (for the person we should contact to get more information about the claim)
  • Date of loss
  • Description of loss and extent of damage
  • Were you (the insured party) living in the home prior to the loss?
  • Are you (the insured party) currently living in the home? If not, what is your current mailing address?
  • On what day of the month is your mortgage payment due?
  • How much is the deductible on your Homeowners policy?

You may be asked to provide:

  • Proof of payment for your loss from your primary homeowners insurance carrier
  • A copy of your primary homeowners insurance policy declarations page
  • A letter from the licensed contractor(s) stating your home is temporarily uninhabitable due to the loss
  • Proof that the repair, reconstruction or restoration has begun within 120 days of the loss