Renter claims FAQs

You may have to prove you've suffered a loss covered by your policy before we pay for it. If you're to make a claim under your policy, we may ask for one of the following:

  • Credit card or bank statements
  • Purchase receipts
  • Instruction manuals or handbooks included with the purchased items
  • Guarantee or warranty certificates
  • Photographs or videos of the items

Common perils included in a renters policy include:

  • Fire and smoke
  • Lightening strikes
  • Wind
  • Hail
  • Vandalism or malicious mischief
  • Theft
  • Damage from an aircraft or car
  • Weight of ice, snow or sleet
  • Water damage - Sudden and accidental rupture or overflow of household appliances or plumbing, heating, or cooling systems heating, or cooling systems within the apartment.

A renters insurance policy may cover damage from a number of incidents, but it likely also comes with a list of scenarios that it won't cover. Please review your policy to determine what perils are covered by your renters insurance or call your agent for help.

Flood coverage requires a separate flood policy.  Contact your agent for more information.

A typical renters policy offers coverage in some but not all situations for water damage. Most standard renters policies provide protection from water damage if the cause is sudden and accidental and is within the rental space you occupy. It would cover the damage to your personal belongings.

However, there are situations where water damage is not covered. These include:

  • Damage from unresolved maintenance issues (e.g., continuous leaking of a plumbing fixture)
  • Repair or replacement of the source of the water damage (e.g., replacing a ruptured water bed)
  • Flood - requires a separate Flood policy. Flooding can occur from storms, over-saturated ground, overflowing or surging bodies of water such as rivers, ponds, lakes and oceans. You can purchase flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program.

Please review your policy to determine whether water damage is covered by your policy or call your agent for help.

  • The applicable coverage deductible will be subtracted from the Actual Cash Value your covered items.
  • If your policy includes replacement cost coverage, you will be reimbursed first for the Actual Cash Value of the item and then, after you have provided documentation the items were replaced, you will be reimbursed for the amount withheld for depreciation.
No. The landlord’s insurance policy should cover the physical building for property damage from the specified perils. However, the landlord’s policy will not cover your belongings inside your apartment. Typically, a renters policy includes liability coverage (where you are found to be legally liable for injury to other or for damage to others property) and protection for your belongings. Please review your policy or contact your agent for more information.