Renter claims process

1. Initial contact and review of coverage available to you

  •  After you report your claim, a QBE Claims professional will contact you within approximately one business day
  • The QBE Claims professional will verify the details of the loss and the policy information and explain your coverages that apply. They will discuss:
    • the deductibles, potential coverage exceptions and coverage limits with you;
    • options for getting an estimate of the cost to repair or replace your covered property.

2. Getting an estimate of the damages

a) Typically, one of the following will occur:

  • QBE Contents Inventory / Replacement Estimate - QBE uses an independent, web-based contents estimating service to help you create an inventory list and estimate the actual cash value of or cost to replace your covered belongings.
  • Desk Top Adjustment (small losses) - For losses with minor or limited damage, your QBE Claims professional can often get enough information from you over the phone or from photos you send to estimate the damages.

You may be asked to provide proof of ownership documents including:

  • Credit card or bank statements
  • Purchase receipts
  • Instruction manuals or handbooks included with the purchased items
  • Guarantee or warranty certificates
  • Photographs or videos of the items

b) Liability claims

When your claim involves someone not living in your home who was injured on your rental property or an incident where you may be fully or partially liable for damages to someone else's property, your QBE Claims professional will take your statement of what happened and, if needed, investigate further to determine your potential liability.

3. Settling your personal property damage claim

  • After your QBE Claims Professional obtains and reviews the final estimate of the damages, he or she will prepare a summary of the amount you will receive and contact you.
  • Please refer to your policy for specific limitations and exclusions.

4. Payment

For smaller losses or personal belongings, you will most likely receive a check payable to the named insured(s) on the policy. Make sure your QBE Claim Professional is aware of your current address if you have moved or are living elsewhere.