Home/Property/Farm claims tips

The following information will assist in your claims reporting process. 

  • Your QBE policy number - it is best to have your policy number available when you call QBE directly
  • Details of the incident, including any damage or loss to the building and contents

Emergency escalation

When you have a severe loss and need immediate assistance, your loss will be escalated and a QBE Claim Professional will typically call you back within approximately 1-2 hours. We can often help arrange temporary living or other loss mitigation services that may be necessary.

Preventing further loss or damage

It is your responsibility to take any immediate actions needed to prevent further loss or damage and ensure the safety of you and those around you. Take photos and keep receipts for any expenditures as these costs may be covered under your policy. Permanent repairs to bring your property back to its condition just prior to the loss, however, should only start after our inspection. 

Water damage assistance:

When you report water damage you may be referred to QBE's loss mitigation vendor. They will call you to determine if they can help with cleaning up water and the drying out process.

Something stolen or vandalized?

  • Inform the police.
  • Report the incident as soon as possible by:
    • Contacting your agent; or
    • Calling QBE at 844-723-2524 (844-QBE-CLAIMS), our 24/7 hotline.

Someone not living with you injured on your property?

  • When your claim involves someone not living in your home who was injured on your property, or an incident where you may be liable or partially liable for damages to someone else's property (e.g. a strong wind blows a trampoline from your yard over the fence and damages your neighbor's car) your QBE Claims Professional will take your statement of what happened and complete further investigation, if needed, to determine your potential liability.
  • Report the incident as soon as possible by:
    • Contacting your agent; or
    • Calling QBE at 844-723-2524 (844-QBE-CLAIMS), our 24/7 hotline.

Your records

We recommend you create a file to store important claim information and documentation throughout the process, including:

  • Your claim number
  • Your Claims Professional’s name and contact information
  • Photographs of the damage
  • Repair invoices and estimates
  • Itemized list of damaged property and/or personal property

Learn more

Questions or correspondence on an existing claim?

  • Contact your QBE Claims Professional directly. If your Claims Professional is unavailable when you call, you may choose to speak with another member of our claims team. Or call 844-723-2524 and select the option of ‘questions about an existing claim’.
  • Need to send us a document or file related to an existing claim?