Protect your property while away from home
The next time you're out of town for an extended period, help your home maintain its "lived in" look and reduce the threat of home intruders by following these steps:
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery or have a neighbor collect them for you. Have a friend or neighbor pick up circulars or other fliers delivered to your home.
- Have your lawn mowed or sidewalk and driveway shoveled.
- Don't indicate you're away from home on your answering machine.
- Install a timer on your indoor and outdoor lights corresponding with your normal schedule. Consider putting your TV or radio on a timer as well.
- Keep your blinds open in their usual position.
- Tell trusted neighbors you'll be away and ask them to keep an eye on your home - then return the favor the next time they're away.