Suffered a loss due to building work?
- Make sure you have the builder's full details
- Gather relevant information such as the Certificate of Insurance, copies of the contract and proof of payments to the builder
- Complete a claim form and send it to us, or alternatively call us on 1300 790 723 as soon as possible.
If you've suffered loss from a QBE insured builder due to incomplete or faulty building work as a result of death, disappearance, insolvency or bankruptcy, you can lodge a claim by sending us a completed claim form or calling 1300 790 723. You'll typically need the following information:
- The builder's QBE policy/Certificate of Insurance number
- Details of the builder — business name, contact name, ABN,address, email and phone number
- Copies of the contract detailing the work being completed by the builder
- Proof of any payments made to the builder, such as invoices, receipts and bank statements
- Evidence of any termination of a building contract.
If the building work was carried out before you purchased the home, you'll also need to provide a copy of the contract of sale.
To assess your claim, we'll investigate the details and let you know if we require any further information to help with our assessment.
This process may also require us to inspect the faulty or incomplete building work.
If your claim is approved, we'll either repair or rectify the loss or damage, or pay the amount to cover that loss or damage.
If your loss is due to defective work, and we approve your claim, we'll help you through the rectification process and assist you in obtaining three quotations to quantify your claim.
An excess is applicable on all claims. The excess can be found on your policy documentation or we'll tell you the amount when we receive your claim. This amount will be deducted from any settlement made by us; either from any payment made to you, or paid by you directly to the builder.
If we rectify the loss, we'll handle payments directly to the builder with your authorisation, less the applicable excess.
We want to make sure you're happy with the completed work. So we won't finalise your claim until you've signed a Notice of Completion.
Frequently Asked Questions
To confirm the validity or registration of a Certificate of Insurance, the QBE Certificate Register enables homeowners to confirm that a Certificate of Insurance has been issued by QBE on a site in the last 10 years.
The register is for general information purposes only and is not a Certificate of Insurance. A Policy number or street address is required to access a certificate.