How it works

CTP Green Slip insurance is mandatory – you need it to register your car in New South Wales.

If you, or anyone driving your car, causes an accident in which someone else is injured your Green Slip covers the cost of their compensation claim. This includes other drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders. It doesn’t cover damage to your, or anyone else's, vehicle or property – for that you'll need Car insurance.

We provide competitive Green Slips in NSW, and if you're aged 30 or over with zero demerits you may qualify for our Good Driver Discount.

CTP Accident Report Form

CTP and Green Slips explained


CTP insurance (known as a Green Slip in New South Wales) covers the cost of third party compensation claims, if you, or anyone driving your car, causes an accident in which someone else is injured.

Third parties who could claim against you include your passengers and other road users such as pedestrians, motorcyclists, cyclists, other drivers and their passengers.

Read more

NSW CTP scheme reforms - 1 December 2017

The New South Wales Government is reforming the CTP Green Slips scheme to better support people injured on our roads and to reduce the cost of Green Slips for vehicle owners.

Read more

Frequently Asked Questions

CTP insurance is compulsory insurance privately underwritten by licensed insurers. It compensates third parties for bodily injury caused by other negligent ‘at-fault’ drivers. This cover includes the driver(s) and passengers in other car(s) involved in the accident, passengers in your car, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders. It also provides more limited benefits to the at-fault driver themselves.
The New South Wales Government legislated in 1942 for CTP insurance to be made compulsory and provide protection to people injured as a result of the actions of other negligent drivers. The intention of the CTP coverage is to protect the injured person for ongoing medical and hospital costs, general damages, loss of income and, in the case of severe injuries, the ongoing care of the injured person which may be for the rest of their life.
As the title suggests, a third party is everyone else involved in the accident which includes the drivers and passengers of all cars involved, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders.
Your CTP policy covers the cost of injuries to third parties if you're an at-fault driver.
Your CTP policy only covers claims made against you for injuries to third parties in an accident. While it also provides limited benefits to the at-fault driver, it doesn't cover any accidental damage to other vehicles or to property, nor any damage to your car as a result of an accident.

If you're injured in an accident and the driver of another car is deemed to be at-fault, you could be entitled to CTP insurance benefits. This would be covered by the insurer of the other vehicle.

If you're at-fault in the accident, then you'll only have limited cover under NSW CTP legislation. Recent legislative changes mean you may be eligible for benefits under the Motor Accidents (Lifetime Care and Support) legislation if your injuries are severe, but these benefits only cover medical and rehabilitation services, and not loss of income or general damages. As the at-fault driver you’re covered for the first $5,000 of medical expenses and loss of income.

As long as your car is currently registered and therefore has a CTP policy in force, claims against you for negligent driving will be managed on your behalf by your CTP insurer.
CTP insurance costs are determined by each insurer and governed by the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA). Premiums are published by SIRA on its website. Rates take into account the frequency of accidents and average claims costs for the class of vehicle, whether or not the owner has a right to claim a GST Input Tax Credit and an amount for the insurer’s administration and claims handling costs.
There are differences in service levels and premiums. Some insurers may offer additional benefits or coverage.
Yes, we offer a Good Driver Discount for drivers who have nil demerit points. Please note this discount is dependent on the type of car as well as the age of the car and the owner (and other drivers).
If you currently don’t have CTP insurance for your car or your current policy is due for renewal, simply contact us on 133 723 or at greenslip.qbe.com.
If your Green Slip has been used to register your car, it remains linked to the registration of your car for the registration term. Policy cancellation is only possible if you hand in your car’s registration plates to Roads and Maritime Services (RMS). You can’t cancel a Green Slip and seek a refund if you change your mind. As long as your car is registered with RMS, your policy must remain in force.

When you hand in your car’s registration plates, Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) will give you a “Confirmation of Cancelled Registration” letter. You must forward this letter to us to initiate policy cancellation. A refund cheque will be issued within 30 days of receipt. Please forward your RMS letter to:

Email: ctprefunds@qbe.com
Fax: (02) 9375 4799
Post: GPO Box 2516, Sydney NSW 2001

We can only refund the registered operator nominated on the RMS letter. If you’ve recently changed your address, please notate this on the letter and sign changes.

If you purchase a Green Slip but don’t register your car, we may not be able to initiate a refund until it’s use-by date has passed. For six-month registrations the use-by date is 21 days after the registration start date; for other registration terms it’s three months after the registration start date. Roads and Maritime Services records Green Slip purchases on its system until the use-by date has passed, so you can use your Green Slip to register your car within this period. If a different Green Slip is used to register your car before the use-by date we can make the refund, otherwise we need to wait until the use by-date has passed.

You’re entitled to a NSW CTP Green Slip refund, based on the unused portion of the Green Slip, once you hand in your NSW registration plates. You can do this at the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) in NSW, or the equivalent interstate transport authority. Once you supply us with the “Confirmation of Cancelled Registration” letter, or interstate equivalent, we’ll initiate policy cancellation and a refund for the unexpired portion of your Green Slip within 30 days. Please forward your RMS letter to:

Email: ctprefunds@qbe.com
Fax: (02) 9375 4799
Post: GPO Box 2516, Sydney NSW 2001

You may be entitled to a pro rata NSW CTP Green Slip refund once your NSW registration plates are removed from the car and handed in to the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS). Once we receive your RMS “Confirmation of Cancelled Registration” letter, we’ll cancel your policy and issue a refund for the unexpired portion of your Green Slip within 30 days. Please forward your RMS letter to:

Email: ctprefunds@qbe.com
Fax: (02) 9375 4799
Post: GPO Box 2516, Sydney NSW 2001

Your refund will be calculated on a pro rata basis for the number of days of the unused or unexpired portion of your Green Slip, minus an administration fee of $25.
If your car is registered when you sell it, your Green Slip insurance automatically transfers to the new owner. You’ll receive a refund from your insurer when you hand your plates into the Roads and Maritime Services.

The Lifetime Care and Support Scheme (LTCS) was established under the Motor Accidents (Lifetime Care & Support) Act 2006 to provide treatment, rehabilitation and attendant care to people who have been severely injured in a motor accident regardless of who was at fault in the accident. Eligibility for the Scheme is determined by the severity of the person's injuries. Most people who are eligible have a spinal cord injury, a moderate to severe brain injury or, in some cases, serious burns or amputations.

The Scheme applies to all severely injured people and is administered by the Lifetime Care & Support Authority (LTCSA). There are levies in your total premium which fund this scheme. Refer to the State Insurance Regulatory Authority for more information.

You might also be interested in...

Car insurance

Choose QBE for five levels of cover, award-winning service and simple, stress-free claiming.


Motorcycle insurance

Flexible cover for your motorcycle, delivered by experts. Choose QBE and enjoy our price guarantee: if a competitor gives you a lower quote, we’ll beat it (terms and conditions apply).


Caravan insurance

Comprehensive protection for your little piece of home – on the road, at a caravan park or at home. We cover caravans, camper trailers, motorhomes and more.

The advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You must decide whether or not it is appropriate, in light of your own circumstances, to act on this advice. You should ensure you obtain and consider the Product Disclosure Statement for the policy before you make any decision to acquire it.
Need more help?
Call us at 133 723

Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-1:30pm (AEST)