Why choose QBE Home Insurance?

We've been awarded CANSTAR's 2021 Innovation Excellence Award thanks to how simple it is to get a quote online.
We’ve been insuring everyday Australians for over 130 years.
24/7 friendly and helpful claims service.
Up to $30 million legal liability cover.

Home and contents insurance

Your home and belongings are some of your most precious investments, so it makes sense to protect them. Home and contents insurance covers the cost of replacing or repairing your home and your belongings if something goes wrong.

We’re here to help you find the right home insurance policy and get a quote online in minutes.

The buildings and contents insurance calculators can help you estimate how much cover you need. 

Looking for affordable home and contents insurance? Save 10% when you buy online!

Get a quote now

CANSTAR 2021 - Innovation Excellence Award   Finder Green Awards 2022 - Green Insurer of the Year

What’s included in home and contents insurance cover?

Home and contents insurance can cover your property and belongings in case of fire, storm damage, theft and more. Find out more about our home insurance policy options below.

Read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Target Market Determination (TMD) for full details including limits, exclusions and conditions that apply.


Choose cover for your home, its contents, or both. It includes things like:

  • Cover against damage or loss caused by storm, fire, theft, flood and more
  • Up to $30 million legal liability cover
  • Temporary accommodation costs for up to two years if your home isn’t liveable
  • Electrical motor burnout cover
  • Emergency temporary repairs
  • Up to 30% Buildings Sum Insured Safeguard benefit (eligibility criteria applies)
  • Lifetime guarantee on home repairs made by our repairer
  • Contents in transit to your new residence
  • Contents cover for up to 60 days at both your old and new home when you move house
  • Environmental upgrades
  • Improved security upgrades after burglary up to $500

Get a quote now

Upgrade to include


alt text here

Ways to save on your home insurance

Want more value from your home  and contents insurance? Consider:

  • Flexible excess: Choosing a higher excess lowers your premium. Be sure to pick an excess you can afford to pay at short notice if you need to make a claim.
  • Pay up front: Pay less for your home insurance when you choose to pay annually.

Read more about premiums, excesses and claims in the Additional Information Guide.

Save 10% on home insurance!

Buy home and contents insurance online today and you’ll save 10%! Find our best price when you get a QBE Home insurance quote and buy online.

Award-winning insurance

Our home insurance has been recognised for the outstanding value it provides in Canstar’s 2021 Home & Contents Insurance Awards as a national Home Insurance and Home & Contents Insurance Award winner. We’re also a Home and Home & Contents state winner in Victoria and South Australia and a Contents category winner in North Queensland.

CANSTAR 2021 - Innovation Excellence Award

We’ve been awarded CANSTAR’s 2021 Innovation Excellence Award for our simplified Home Insurance solution, thanks to the launch of our new online quote and buy platform.


Finder Green Awards 2022 - Green Insurer of the YearFor the third year running we’ve been named by finder.com.au as Australia’s Green Insurer of the Year. We're honoured to receive this recognition. A big thank you to our customers, people and partners for helping us enable a more resilient planet. Find out more about our awards.

Insurance calculators

Home and contents insurance calculators

You can use these calculators to estimate roughly how much it would cost to rebuild your home or replace your contents. By providing general information about your home the calculators will provide an estimated value and summary that you can further edit for a more accurate result if you wish.

Six ways to protect your home from thieves
Six ways to protect your home from thieves

Contents insurance can cover the cost of stolen belongings, but it can’t replace items of sentimental value or take away the trauma of a burglary. Proactivity is your best form of defence.

Four risks to your home, and how to combat them

Four risks to your home, and how to combat them

Your home is more than just four walls – it’s a sanctuary for you and your loved ones. And chances are it didn’t come cheap. Understanding the risks your home faces will help you protect it.

Home and contents insurance frequently asked questions

What’s covered depends on the type of home insurance you have and your specific policy. Most standard home and contents insurance policies cover loss or damage of your belongings as well as your home in the event that something goes wrong like:

  • Fire
  • Flood
  • Storm
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Water damage
  • Glass breakage
  • $30 million legal liability

In many cases, you can also add optional extras to your home insurance policy to provide additional coverage. This includes portable contents to cover your valuables when you’re away from home and accidental damage.

With QBE Home Insurance, you have the option to customise your policy based on your needs – so you have the flexibility to choose the amount of cover you want within our range.

Home insurance can cover your building, contents or both.

Home insurance for your building offers protection by covering the cost of replacing or repairing your house if something goes wrong. Contents insurance covers the cost of replacing or repairing your belongings but not the building.

When you choose a home insurance policy, you and your insurance provider agree on exactly what’s covered by your policy and how much you’ll pay in premiums.

The cost of home and contents insurance depends on a number of factors, such as:

  • How much cover you choose for your contents (the total amount insured)
  • Whether you decide to add any optional types of cover, such as accidental damage or cover for portable valuables
  • How much excess you choose (the amount of money you may need to contribute towards the cost of a claim)
  • Your claims history
  • Where you live
  • Characteristics of your home
  • Your payment frequency.

Read more about premiums, excesses and claims in the relevant Additional Information Guide.

The easy way to compare contents insurance and see how much it may cost you is to get a quote.

Your carpets and internal blinds are covered by your contents insurance.
No. Home and contents insurance covers loss of or damage to your home and belongings caused by events like fire, theft, flood and more. You can upgrade your policy to include accidental damage cover for an extra premium.

‘Specified contents’ are items covered at your home address.

If you own an item that you would like covered by your contents insurance, but its value exceeds the standard limit in the policy, just tell us. If we agree to cover it, it will be listed as a ‘specified contents’ item on your policy.

If you own an item that you would like covered by your contents insurance away from home, but its value exceeds the portable contents category limit or it doesn’t fall within one of the categories, or you specifically want to itemise it, just tell us. If we agree to cover it, it will be listed as a ‘specified portable contents’ item on your policy. This is an optional cover that you can add for an additional premium.

We’ll usually need valuations, receipts or serial numbers as proof of ownership in the event of a claim. To find more information about the limits that apply to the policy, refer to your Certificate of Insurance and the relevant PDS.

No. To protect your personal valuables away from home, you'll need to add portable contents cover. When you add portable contents cover to a home insurance policy, your belongings are covered anywhere in Australia and New Zealand and for up to 90 consecutive days anywhere else in the world.
Yes, our standard contents insurance policy covers contents damaged or destroyed by flood. For further details, refer to your PDS.

Yes please. You must tell us if your home will be unoccupied for more than 90 consecutive days.

Other conditions may apply and you’ll find more information about unoccupied properties and contents insurance in your Certificate of Insurance and the PDS.

A certificate of currency is a document that states the details of your cover and, where applicable, will confirm the interests of your mortgage lender are noted on your Certificate of Insurance. To request a certificate of currency, call us on 133 723.
Yes, as part of your buildings sum insured. You’re covered for debris removal if we need to repair, replace or rebuild your home. You need to make sure you’ve allowed for this cost when setting your buildings sum insured.
Use the buildings and contents insurance calculators to assess the value of your home and its contents.

The Buildings Sum Insured Safeguard benefit is like a safety net. It’s designed to help protect against underinsuring your property. Your Certificate of Insurance will confirm if your policy includes the safeguard benefit.

If it does and we accept a claim that exceeds your buildings sum insured, we’ll pay up to 30% more than the buildings sum insured shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

Head to our home insurance claims page to make a claim online or call us 24 hours a day on 133 723.
This Home insurance is issued and underwritten by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239545). Any advice provided is general only and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and may not be right for you. To decide if this product is right for you, please read the Home insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and the Target Market Determination (TMD).

Need more help?

Call us on 133 723

Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat 8am-1:30pm (AEDT)