alt text here

Theft or damage to your home?

  • Prevent further loss or damage and ensure the safety of yourself and those around you
  • Call the police if something was stolen or vandalised, or if required by law
  • Lodge a claim online or call us on 133 723 as soon as possible.

Claim online Call 133 723 (24/7)

How does it all work?
Making a claim is quick and easy. Check out these three easy steps that apply when your QBE policy covers repairs to your home or contents.
Making a claim is quick and easy. Check out these three easy steps that apply when your QBE policy covers repairs to your home or contents.
Making a claim is quick and easy. Check out these three easy steps that apply when your QBE policy covers repairs to your home or contents.
You can:

To make your claim, you’ll need:

  • Your QBE policy number
  • Details of what happened, including the damage or loss
  • Photos of the damage
  • Proof of ownership, such as receipts, bank statements, owner's manuals, photos and videos of your damaged or lost items
  • Receipts and invoices for repair work already completed.

A dedicated claims officer will manage your claim. If we accept your claim, we may be able to make a decision on your claim if we have all the details, or we’ll let you know if we need more information.

We may appoint a QBE Preferred Loss Adjuster or services provider to visit your home at a convenient time. They’ll help you through the process, with your claims officer. They’ll inspect the damage before we let you know what we can repair or replace.

We’ll tell you if there are any excesses you’ll need to pay. You can also talk to us if you’re in financial hardship.

If we can repair your property, we'll provide a qualified and preferred builder to fix things to your state’s standards. We’ll manage the process and pay the builder, minus any excess that applies.

We may confirm your property is a ‘total loss’, if it costs more to repair or replace than the sum it’s insured for. If this happens, we’ll pay out your claim after we deduct any excesses and premiums that apply.

Frequently Asked Questions

You may have to prove you've suffered a loss covered by your policy before we pay for it. If you're to make a claim under your policy, we may ask for one of the following:

  • Credit cards or bank statements
  • Purchase receipts
  • Instruction manuals and handbooks included with the item
  • Guarantee or warranty certificates
  • Photographs or video of the item/s.

Home and contents insurance can cover your property and possessions in case of fire, storm damage, theft and more. Find out more about our home insurance products.

Read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for full details including limits, exclusions and conditions that apply.

Yes, our standard home insurance policy covers contents damaged or destroyed by flood. For further details, refer to your Certificate of Insurance and the relevant PDS.

An excess is the amount you agree to pay towards a claim. More than one excess may apply in some circumstances.

If we decide that another person or organisation was at fault for your damage or loss, you may not need to pay an excess. If you do need to pay an excess, you’ll usually pay it to your builder or repairer before they repair your property.

If it’s a contents claim and we replace your item, you can pay your excess to the supplier when you pick up your item. If your new item is being delivered, you’ll need to pay the excess before delivery.

Check the Additional Information Guide for your home policy, to see what excesses may apply. If you’re having financial difficulties and struggling to pay your excess, talk to your claims officer or call us on 133 723.

The amount of time it takes to assess your claim can vary and depends on the extent of your damage. Generally, we'll let you know if we accept all or part of your claim within 10 business days.

But that's only if we’ve received all the documents and information we need to assess your claim. If we need further specialists’ reports, we’ll update you on how long it may take to assess your claim.

A loss adjuster works on our behalf to explore your insurance claim. They’ll assess the damage and provide their recommendations on your claim based on your policy and its limits.

A loss adjuster is an impartial professional. They make your claim easier to understand and help complete your claim. They will:

  • Understand it’s a difficult time and help complete your claim in a compassionate way
  • Act as a go-between while we manage the claim process
  • Assess the cause and value of your damage or loss under your cover
  • Let us know if we should recover any costs from a third party, if they’re at fault.

A scope of works is provided for building claims and outlines what repair or rebuilding work is necessary to resolve your building claim. It’s a breakdown of the repair work needed to fix things.

It’s generally completed by your builder. It includes a line-by-line list of materials they’ll need, plus the cost of those materials and labour. Read our Scope of Works Fact Sheet for more details.

If we discover more damage, we’ll assess if it’s covered under your policy. If it is, we can add it to your builder’s scope of work and we’ll arrange for an additional payment to the builder.

Once you pay any excesses and accept the scope of work, we’ll tell you how long the repairs should take. But there are some things that may affect it:

  • The type and extent of your damage
  • If we need to involve more than one tradesperson
  • The weather conditions
  • If materials or equipment are available, to repair your property.

Once the work gets underway, we’ll update you on its progress.

You may be able to request changes during the repair process. But you may need to pay any extra costs involved or, arrange your own tradespeople to carry out the work.

If you have a complaint, you can talk about it with your claims officer. If they still can’t resolve it, the QBE Customer Care Team will independently review it. You can call them on 1300 650 503.

If you have your repairs carried out by one of our building partners, you’ll receive a premium service. We’ll provide you with a lifetime guarantee on the workmanship of the repairs.

If we offer to settle your claim with cash instead of repairing or rebuilding your home, we’ll provide you with a cash settlement information sheet.

The Cash Settlement Information Sheet provides information to help you understand how cash settlements work and things for you to consider before receiving a cash settlement.

Need more help?

Call us on 133 723

24/7 (AEST/AEDT)