Landlord insurance

Owning and renting out a rental property comes with its fair share of risks. Landlord insurance provides cover for the cost of repairs or replacement of your property and/or contents in the event of storms, fire, theft, flood, tenant theft, vandalism and more. We also cover loss of rent if you property is unliveable.

Whether you’re after cover for your property only or your property and its contents, we’re here to help you find the right cover. Compare options below and get a landlord insurance quote online in minutes.

Looking for affordable landlord insurance? Save 10% when you buy online today.

Get a quote now

CANSTAR 2021 - Innovation Excellence Award   Finder Green Insurer Award

What’s included in landlord insurance cover?

Landlord insurance covers your rental property and, if it’s furnished, you can cover your contents too.

The table below shows some of the Standard features of QBE Landlord insurance. Read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for full details including limits, exclusions and conditions that apply.

Standard features Buildings and contents

Buildings cover only

Contents cover only

Cover against damage or loss caused by storms, fire, theft, flood and more
Malicious damage or theft by your tenant or paying guest
Up to $30 million legal liability cover
Accidental damage cover caused by you, your tenant or paying guest
Electrical motor burnout cover
Emergency temporary repairs
Buildings Sum Insured Safeguard benefit (eligibility criteria applies)
Loss of rent after an insured event if your property is unliveable Strata lot owners only
Environmental upgrades 
 Temporary storage of contents
 Mortgage discharge cost

Why choose QBE Landlord Insurance?

We've been awarded CANSTAR's 2021 Innovation Excellence Award thanks to how simple it is to get a quote online.

Get your online quote now.

We’ve been insuring everyday Australians for over 130 years.
24/7 friendly and helpful claims service.
Up to $30 million legal liability cover.

Award-winning insurance

CANSTAR 2021 - Innovation Excellence AwardWe’ve been awarded CANSTAR’s 2021 Innovation Excellence Award for our simplified Home Insurance solution, thanks to the launch of our new online quote and buy platform.


For the second year running we’ve been named by finder.com.au as Australia’s Green Insurer of the Year. We’re honoured to be recognised alongside the nation’s greenest industry leaders. A big thank you to our customers, people and partners for helping us do our bit to protect our planet. Find out more about our awards.


Save 10% on landlord insurance!

Buy QBE Landlord Insurance online today and you’ll save 10%! Find our best price when you get a landlord insurance quote and buy online.
Home insurance

Revealed: most common and costly landlord insurance claims 

Severe weather and leaky pipes are the biggest headaches for Australian landlords and are the cause of far more insurance claims than tenants failing to pay the rent.

Liability cover: the little-known benefit included in your home insurance

Liability cover: the little-known benefit included in your home insurance

Landlords are entirely responsible for the property they lease to tenants, which means you may be legally liable if a tenant is injured inside.

Insurance calculators

Home and contents insurance calculators

You can use these calculators to estimate roughly how much it would cost to rebuild your home or replace your contents. By providing general information about your home the calculators will provide an estimated value and summary that you can further edit for a more accurate result if you wish.

Landlord insurance frequently asked questions

Landlord insurance is designed to cover you against the risks of owning an rental property. Most landlord insurance policies are designed to cover costs incurred as a result of damage or loss due to events like:

  • Fire
  • Flood
  • Storm
  • Tenant theft
  • Vandalism
  • And more.

With QBE, you can choose to cover your rental property only, it’s contents only, or both.

Our Landlord Insurance policy meets the key needs of landlords by covering the cost of repairs, replacements and loss of rent due to events such as:

  • Fire
  • Flood
  • Storm
  • Vandalism
  • Theft

QBE Landlord Insurance also includes as standard:

  • Accidental damage cover caused by you, your tenant or paying guests
  • Vandalism, malicious acts or theft by tenants or paying guests
  • Damage by tenant's pet
  • Up to $30 million legal liability cover
  • Clean up due to illegal drug activity
  • Electrical motor burnout cover
  • Loss of rent after an insured event if your property is unliveable
  • And more.

Find out more by reading the QBE Landlord Insurance policy documents.

If your property is either furnished or partly furnished and you want to cover your contents you should consider contents insurance.

This can help to cover you in case of events such as malicious damage or theft by tenants, or accidental damage by you or your tenants.

Landlord contents cover can also be useful for strata-lot owners who want to cover fixtures within the property.

The cost of landlord insurance depends on a number of factors, such as:

  • How much cover you choose for your rental property (sometimes called your ‘sum insured’)
  • Whether your policy has the optional rent default cover
  • How much excess you choose (Be sure to pick an excess you can afford to pay at short notice if you need to make a claim.)
  • Your claims history
  • Location of you rental property
  • Characteristics of your rental property

The easy way to compare landlord insurance and see how much it may cost you is to get a quote.

Head to our home insurance claims page to make a claim online or call us 24 hours a day on 133 723.

This all depends on your circumstances and how much cover you need. At QBE, we offer a range of landlord insurance choices:

  • Building cover: Covers your rental property and permanent fixtures
  • Contents cover: Covers the contents in your rental property that you have provided for your tenants to use as part of their tenancy
  • Building and contents cover: Covers your rental property and your contents.

If we agree, you can also add the rent default option.

Landlord insurance covers your rental property and its fixtures and fittings. It can also include cover for loss of rental income and damage to your property by tenants. 

Building insurance covers your property and its fixtures and fittings, but not your home contents, and does not cover properties that are rented out.

Yes. You’re covered by QBE Landlord Insurance for unoccupied periods between tenants for up to 90 days. For longer untenanted periods, get in touch with us to discuss your options.

Where landlord insurance policies include cover for rent default and a government moratorium on evictions applies, QBE will not expect a landlord to evict a residential tenant in order to make a claim where it is established that the tenant cannot fulfil their rental obligations due to financial hardship as a direct result of COVID-19.

Find out more about QBE’s support measures for customers impacted by COVID-19.

We understand there may be some public information circulating that suggests a landlord policy will be void if a landlord renegotiates rent with a residential tenant who cannot fulfil their rental obligations due to financial hardship as a direct result of COVID-19.

We wish to reassure our customers that a QBE Landlord Insurance policy will not be void in these circumstances and this will not prevent a claim for insured events, such as property damage.

Find out more about QBE’s support measures for customers impacted by COVID-19.

In some cases, yes. If you own an rental property, you may be able to claim landlord insurance costs for your rental property for the period it was tenanted or available for rent.

Check with a tax adviser to find out whether you can claim a tax deduction for your landlord insurance costs.

This Landlord insurance is issued and underwritten by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239545). Any advice provided is general only and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and may not be right for you. To decide if this product is right for you, please read the Landlord insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

Need more help?

Call us on 133 723

Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat 8am-1:30pm (AEDT)