Why Queenslanders should choose QBE

  • Founded in 1886, we’ve been insuring Queenslanders for more than 130 years.
  • We insure over two million vehicles for CTP nationwide.
  • Our local QLD claims team are committed to excellence.

How it works

CTP insurance is mandatory – in QLD, you nominate a CTP provider when you register your car.

If you, or anyone driving your car, causes an accident in which someone else is injured your CTP insurance covers the cost of their compensation claim. This includes other drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders. It doesn’t cover damage to your, or anyone else’s, vehicle or property – for that you’ll need Car insurance.

alt text here

CTP explained

CTP insurance covers the cost of third party compensation claims, if you, or anyone driving your car, causes an accident in which someone else is injured.

Third parties who could claim against you include your passengers and other road users such as pedestrians, motorcyclists, cyclists, other drivers and their passengers.

Frequently Asked Questions

CTP insurance is compulsory insurance privately underwritten by licensed insurers. It compensates third parties for bodily injury caused by other negligent ‘at-fault’ drivers. This cover includes the driver(s) and passengers in other car(s) involved in the accident, passengers in your car, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders.

Find out more in our article 'What is CTP insurance?'

Your CTP policy covers the cost of injuries to third parties if you’re an at-fault driver.

Your CTP policy only covers claims made against you for injuries to third parties in an accident. It doesn’t cover any accidental damage to the other car or to property, nor any damage to your car as a result of an accident.

There are differences in service levels and premiums. There are also differences in the DriverProtect cover. It’s important to decide which best meets your needs as the maximum claim per policy currently ranges from $250,000 up to $2 million.

DriverProtect cover is provided by some QLD CTP insurers to cover the at-fault driver injured or killed in an accident. This cover is additional to the CTP cover that is required under the Government State Legislation. DriverProtect policies cover the at-fault driver for serious permanent injuries such as quadriplegia, paraplegia, permanent total disablement, and loss of use of a limb, as well as death. DriverProtect doesn’t provide full CTP coverage such as loss of income, medical and rehabilitation costs and ongoing (possibly lifetime) care for the seriously injured.

It depends on the registration status of your car:

  • If you’re buying a brand new (or unregistered) car from a dealer, advise them of your choice of CTP insurer
  • If your CTP is due for renewal, you can choose your CTP insurer as long as the registration is not past the due date shown on the Renewal Notice. Call 133 723 to switch to QBE or refer to the back of the Vehicle Registration Notice for the payment and selection of CTP insurer options
  • If your car is currently registered interstate you can select your new CTP insurer when you register your car in Queensland
  • If your car is currently unregistered you can choose your CTP provider. Call us on 133 723 for more information.

If you purchase CTP insurance but don’t register your car with the Department of Transport and Main Roads within 30 days, simply return the original certificate to your CTP insurer for a full refund on your premium. If you’re mid-term through your registration period, you need to cancel your CTP policy with the Department of Transport and Main Roads. Any refund will be included in your registration refund cheque from the Department when you hand in your registration plates.

If your car is registered when you sell it, your CTP insurance automatically transfers to the new owner with the registration. If you sell an unregistered car, any refund for your CTP insurance will be included in your registration refund cheque from the Department of Transport and Main Roads when you hand in your registration plates.

CTP insurance costs are set by the Queensland Government’s Motor Accident Insurance Commission on a quarterly basis. Rates take into account the frequency of accidents, the average claims costs for the class of car, whether or not the owner of the car has a right to claim a GST Input Tax Credit and an amount for the CTP insurer’s administration and claims handling costs.

As long as your car is currently registered through the Department of Transport and Main Roads and therefore has a CTP policy in force, claims against you for your negligent driving will be managed on your behalf by your CTP insurer.

If you’re injured in an accident and the driver of another car is deemed to be at-fault, you could be entitled to CTP insurance benefits. This would be covered by the insurer of the other car. If you’re at fault in the accident, you’ll have no cover under the Queensland CTP Scheme Legislation.

However, you may be entitled to receive support through the National Injury Insurance Scheme Queensland (NIISQ) if you've sustained a serious personal injury through a motor vehicle accident.

As the title suggests, a third party is everyone else involved in the accident, which includes the drivers and passengers of all cars involved, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders.

The Queensland Government legislated in 1936 for CTP insurance to be made compulsory and provide protection to people injured as a result of the actions of other negligent drivers. The intention of the CTP coverage is to protect the injured person for ongoing medical and hospital costs, general damages, loss of income and, in the case of severe injuries, the ongoing care of the injured person which may be for the rest of their life.

Yes. The Department of Transport and Main Roads has introduced a one-month registration renewal option. To find out more, visit the TMR website.

There are two premiums for each class of car under the Queensland Scheme. ‘Private’ premiums (no Input Tax Credit entitlement) won’t provide you with a tax invoice and you won’t be able to claim the GST from the Australian Tax Office. ‘Business’ premiums (which have an Input Tax entitlement) will provide you with a tax invoice and you can claim the GST. Your Vehicle Registration Notice will show either (NO ITCE) for a ‘private’ premium or (YES ITCE) for a ‘business’ premium. If you believe your tax status is incorrect contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80 (select Option 1 and then Option 3). They’ll issue a new Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice, which can take up to 14 days. Please note – if your vehicle registration expires during this change process you’ll be charged a loading for the late payment.  

You might also be interested in...

Car insurance - Young man reflected in a car side mirror

Car insurance

Flexible car insurance for everyday Australians. Choose between two easy-to-understand covers from a 2020 award-winning insurer.

Motorcycle insurance tile two men with motorbike in shop

Motorcycle insurance

Flexible cover for your motorcycle, delivered by experts. Choose QBE and enjoy our price guarantee: if a competitor gives you a lower quote, we’ll beat it (terms and conditions apply).

Vehicle insurance caravan back doors open onto water scene

Caravan insurance

Comprehensive protection for your little piece of home – on the road, at a caravan park or at home. We cover caravans, camper trailers, motorhomes and more.

^ Gift card is only available to new QBE CTP customer for their first year. It is not available to existing customers.

 CTP disclaimer: QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035) holds a CTP license in the relevant States and issues your policy.

Need more help?

Call us on 133 723

Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat 8am-1:30pm (AEDT)