Bike damaged, stolen or in an accident?

  • Prevent further loss or damage and ensure the safety of yourself and those around you
  • If your bike is unrideable or unroadworthy, arrange for it to be towed to the nearest safe place
  • Inform the police if something has been stolen or vandalised, or if required by law
  • Take details of other involved parties and any witnesses
  • Call us on 1300 365 354 as soon as possible. We are open 9am - 6pm AEST (AEDT) Monday to Friday.

How does it all work?

Our insurance claim process is quick and easy. To see what is involved in claiming, what information you'll need, and how to get your claim lodged, check out the sections below.

Lodging your claim

If you're a QBE Motorcycle insurance policy holder, you can

You'll typically require the following information:

  • Your QBE policy number
  • The name, address, phone number, email address, licence number and insurer of other parties involved
  • The name and contact details for the owner of other vehicles involved if not the driver/rider at the time
  • The registration number of all vehicles involved in the accident
  • Details of the accident including time, date, location and what occurred.

Managing your claim

To assess your claim we'll investigate the accident and tell you if we need more information. We'll also contact any other parties involved. If you receive any correspondence from other parties, please send it to your claims officer.

If your bike was stolen, or the cost of repairs is more than its value, we'll declare it a total loss and pay out your claim.

The outcome of your claim will depend on the level of cover provided by your policy. For further information on the extent of your cover, please refer to your Policy Schedule and the PDS.

Managing repairs

If we agree to repair your bike, we may nominate a repairer; in which case we'll ask you to take your bike to one of our preferred repairers.

All repairs authorised by QBE have a lifetime guarantee on the quality of the repairs for any defect due to faulty workmanship or faulty material for the life of your vehicle.

Settling your claim

Once your bike has been repaired, or we've declared it a total loss, you may need to pay an excess before we close your claim. An excess is the amount of money you have to pay whenever you make a claim, and a number of different types of excesses may apply to your claim. We'll let you know what excesses apply when you lodge your claim.

If we repair or replace your bike, you'll usually pay the excess to the repairer or dealer. If your bike is declared a total loss, the excess will be deducted from the amount we pay for your claim.

Frequently Asked Questions

You'll retain your no claim bonus, if you make no more than one at fault claim during the 12 month period preceding the anniversary of this insurance policy. Your no claim bonus will be adjusted if at the time of the accident, the insured person riding your bike was not named on your insurance schedule, unless named on another motorcycle policy with QBE.

If the repairs carried out were authorised by us, we'll guarantee the quality of the materials and workmanship for the life of your bike.

Need more help?

Call us at 1800 24 34 64

Mon-Fri 9am-6pm (AEST)