Boat damaged, stolen or in an accident?

  • Prevent further loss or damage and ensure the safety of yourself and those around you
  • Inform the police if something was stolen or vandalised, or if required by law
  • Take details of other involved parties and third-party witnesses
  • Lodge a claim online or call us on 133 723 as soon as possible.

Claim online Call 133 723 (24/7)

How does it all work?

Our insurance claim process is quick and easy. To see what is involved in claiming, what information you'll need, and how to get your claim lodged, check out the sections below.

Lodging your claim

If you're a QBE Boat insurance policyholder, you can lodge a claim online or call 133 723. You'll typically need the following information:

  • Your QBE policy number
  • Proof of ownership such as receipts, owner's manuals or bank statements
  • The name, address, phone number, email address, licence number and insurer of other navigators involved in the accident
  • The name and contact details for the owner of the other vessels if not the navigator
  • Details of the accident such as the date and time, location, weather conditions at the time
  • A police accident number (if applicable).

Managing your claim

To assess your claim we'll investigate the accident and tell you if we need more information. We'll also contact any other parties involved. If you receive any correspondence from other parties, please send it to your claims officer.

If we accept your claim we'll help you through the repair process.

If your vessel was stolen, or the cost of repairs is more than its value, we'll declare it a 'total loss' and pay out your claim.

Managing repairs

If we agree to repair your vessel, we'll ask you to send a quote from a repairer of your choice along with photos of the damage to our claims team. We'll then assess the damage and either authorise the repairs or conduct a QBE inspection if necessary.

Once commenced, you may also need to monitor the repair process and our claims team can help guide you if required.

Settling your claim

Once your vessel has been repaired or we've declared it a total loss, you may need to pay an excess before we close your claim. An excess is the amount of money you have to pay whenever you make a claim, and a number of different types of excesses may apply to your claim. We'll let you know what's applicable when you lodge your claim.

If we repair your vessel, we'll ask you to pay the excess to the repairer once they have completed their work. If your vessel is declared a total loss, the excess will be deducted from the amount we pay out for your claim.

Frequently Asked Questions

Your policy covers you whilst you're in Australian waters (within 200 nautical miles of the Australian coast).

Yes, all accidents, claims and infringements must be declared when you take out your policy and on every following renewal.

In certain circumstances, you don't need to pay an excess, including for:

  • A vessel that's declared a 'total loss'
  • Death or bodily injury cover
  • Land towing costs or vessel inspection costs
  • 'Legal Liability' cover.

Please refer to your Policy Schedule and the PDS for further information on these circumstances.

Need more help?

Call us at 133 723

Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-1:30pm (AEST)