Why small businesses prefer QBE

We specialise in your type of business

Every business is different, so simply select the industry you operate in to find insurance covers to suit your needs, or contact your broker.
Mature woman business owner in store


Designed with retail businesses in mind, get cover for business building and contents, glass, theft and more, so you can get back to taking care of your customers.

Mature businessman consulting his laptop

Professional services

Ideal for IT professionals, accountants, graphic designers and more with cover for things like business liability, so you can get back to the business of looking after your clients.

Happy carpenter standing by pick-up truck outside workshop


QBE offers business insurance to tradies to cover liability, tool theft and more. It’s the cover you need to protect your business, so you can get the job done with confidence.

Store owner smiling in store doorwar


QBE serves up business insurance direct to cafes and food and beverage business owners. Get cover for business building and contents, and portable items like laptops, and you can continue offering service with a smile.

Senior adult man and home healthcare nurse, physical therapist

Healthcare providers

Caring for some of the core business insurance needs of healthcare providers, our small business insurance package offers business liability with 6 other optional covers to complement. Ideal for physiotherapists, dieticians, dentists and much more.

Male stylist cutting hair of customer in barber shop

Beauty professionals and therapists

Designed to cover occupations such as hairdressing, barber shops, manicurists, body piercers and more, our small business insurance product keeps your business in great shape even after an unforeseen incident.

Dog leaning over the reception counter at the dog grooming salon to recieve affection from the dog groomer.

Pet sitters and pet carers

As you look after our furry friends, we in turn look after your core business insurance needs. Suitable for vets, pet minders, dog walkers, trainers, groomers and more.

Insurance designed for small businesses like yours

When you’re busy running a business, it can be hard to find time to sort out your insurance. That’s why we’ve made small business insurance flexible and available in multiple ways, so you have the confidence to choose the cover you need to protect what you’ve worked so hard to create.

We offer flexible business insurance to over 800 small business occupations in Australia, so if you’re a tradie, a bricklayer, accountant, lawyer, cafe or shop owner, we have you covered.

QBE's Small Business Insurance Pack is available directly from QBE and specially designed for small businesses. Alongside the compulsory business liability cover — just pick and choose additional covers to suit your business needs. That way, you’ll be covered for what you need, and nothing you don’t.

From cover to claim, we strive to deliver the best possible experience, starting with a simple tool to get a quote and buy online.

Get a quote

If your business risks are a little complex or you’d prefer an expert to take care of your insurance needs on your behalf, you may prefer to appoint a broker. Check out our guide on using a broker vs buying direct.

alt text here

Buying through a broker

If you can’t solve your insurance needs with our direct product, you can work with a trusted broker who can arrange insurance to meet your specific needs. Brokers can help you with your motor, directors and workers compensations insurance and more.

If you don’t have a reliable recommendation, the National Insurance Brokers Association (NIBA)* can help you find an accredited broker. Or see our guide to finding the right broker.

*The brokers on this site are not employees or agents of QBE but are independent entities. QBE is not responsible for any advice provided to you by any broker on this site. Any such advice is the responsibility of the broker concerned.

Frequently asked questions

Every business is different, so the industry in which you operate and the products and services you provide will determine the insurance required for your small business. Small business insurance can include business liability, business buildings and contents cover and more. The Small Business Insurance Package available directly from QBE is designed for tradies, professional services, food and beverage hospitality businesses, health and beauty providers and retail.

Some insurance covers are mandated by law – examples of this are Workers Compensation (if you have employees) or CTP cover if you have vehicles that travel on the road. Some work contracts also may require you to have certain levels of business liability cover before you can start work. Other insurance covers will be taken out at your discretion depending on your business needs, preferences and risk profile.

QBE’s Small Business Insurance Pack is designed for tradies, professional services, food and beverage hospitality business, and retail. Alongside the compulsory Business Liability cover you can choose optional cover for things like your building, contents and portable items, business interruption, theft, money or glass damage. 

Business Liability insurance is the only mandatory cover in our Small Business Insurance. It provides cover for third-party personal injury, property damage and advertising liability claims. The cost will depend on a number of factors, including the size of your business, the type of work you do, the excess you select and the limit of liability you choose; $5 million, $10 million or $20 million.

Underinsurance is when the insurance cover selected is not enough to put you back in the position you were before the loss. It’s critical to make sure your insured amounts – for example for your building and contents – are sufficient to enable you to rebuild and refurnish after a loss. With respect to your building, you should consider the full rebuild costs, not the current market value. Consider cost of materials and labour and other factors like removal of debris, professional fees and any new building regulations that may now be in force. Remember things like paved access roads and paths, fences and outbuildings. Getting a recent professional valuation is a good way to be sure of the amount you should be insured for.

Related article: How to avoid underinsurance in business

Take your business further with these helpful articles

Business insurance explained

Why every small business needs to consider public liability insurance

It’s important to note what your total public liability amount of cover is and be sure that’s enough for the needs of your business.


The insurance you need to start a small business

Before you choose a business insurance policy, you’ll need to evaluate your needs and also consider what is legally required to run your company.

Business insurance

10 key considerations for your small business insurance policy

There isn’t much point in having insurance if your policy isn’t tailored specifically to the needs of your business.

This advice is general in nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and may not be right for you. You must decide whether or not it is appropriate, in light of your own circumstances, to act on this advice. To decide if this products is right for you, please read the QBE Small Business Insurance Policy Wording (QM9264). Insurance issued and underwritten by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239545).