Boat Insurance update

From 9 February 2024, we’re no longer selling boat insurance. Rest assured, if you have an existing policy, your cover isn’t affected. QBE will continue to cover your boat and help you with a claim until your current policy expires. We’ll remind you just before it expires, so you can make other arrangements.

How to find alternative insurers

  • Contact your local Elders Insurance agent on 13 56 22 or visit the Elders Insurance website
  • Visit Find an insurer. It’s a referral service provided by the Insurance Council of Australia, designed to help you find a list of insurers who offer the products you’re searching for

If you’re unhappy and want to make a complaint, our complaint resolution service is available to you.

What's included in the cover


  • Accidental loss or damage

  • Accidental sinking of your vessel

  • Theft

  • Malicious damage

  • Transit damage

  • Personal accident cover

  • Legal liability – choice of $5 million, $10 million, $20 million or $30 million limits

  • Clean-up costs

  • Removal or recovery of wreck

Not Included

  • Unseaworthy vessels

  • Moorings

  • Loss or damage caused by wear and tear

  • Loss or damage, including sinking, caused by timber rot, delamination, osmosis, deterioration, rusting or corrosion/electrolysis

  • Loss or damage caused by lack of maintenance

  • Loss or damage caused by mechanical, structural, electrical or electronic failures

  • Damage to your personal watercraft (e.g. a jetski) when a person under 25 is in control.

Optional Benefits

Yacht racing

Covers damage to your boat while you’re yacht racing.

Sports equipment

Covers accidental loss or damage to water skiing, fishing, diving or other water sports equipment while you’re not using it.

Water skiing or aquaplaning

Covers injury to anyone water skiing or aquaplaning behind your boat, injury to other people, and damage to other people’s property.

Lay-up reduced cover for trailered boats

Reduces the cover we provide for your boat to a specific location ashore, to reduce the premium for the period you nominate when you won’t be using your boat.

Frequently Asked Questions

You're covered for the events in your policy while you're in Australian waters.
Yes, all accidents, claims and infringements must be declared when you take out your policy and on every renewal.
As long as the person in control of your boat has your consent and a valid licence, you don’t need to list them on your policy.
Make sure your boat is safe and secure and notify the police and waterways authority. Then call us 24 hours a day on 133 723.
Notify the police and the waterways authority. Then call us 24 hours a day on 133 723.

You might also be interested in...

Car insurance - Young man reflected in a car side mirror

Car insurance

Flexible car insurance for everyday Australians. Choose between two easy-to-understand covers from a 2020 award-winning insurer.

CTP insurance tile car driving down country down country road in sunset

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance

Compulsory Third Party insurance made easy, for drivers in New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia. Make the switch to QBE.

Home insurance banner - young family leaving their home

Home insurance

Building and contents insurance can cover your property and possessions in case of fire, storm damage, theft and more.

The advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You must decide whether or not it is appropriate, in light of your own circumstances, to act on this advice. You should ensure you obtain and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Target Market Determination (TMD) for the policy before you make any decision to acquire it.

Need more help?