A quick guide on what to expect from your loss adjuster
We know it can be unsettling when your property is unexpectedly damaged. Your QBE-allocated loss adjuster exists to help you through the process.
What’s the role of a loss adjuster?
Loss adjusters are impartial professionals whose role is to manage the outcome of your claim, remove the complexity and help you get back on track.
Our preferred property loss adjusting partner, Sedgwick, has been chosen based on a rigorous selection process. Their loss adjusting staff are experts in the field with a track record in providing much-needed support and assistance to our customers in their time of need.
The loss adjuster will be your primary point of contact for all aspects of the claim. They will manage the process with you from inspection through to finalisation.
Sedgwick will keep you informed every step of the way as your claim progresses.
What to expect from the loss adjuster:
- The loss adjuster will be inspecting the damage to your property and confirming the cause (so they will need access to all the affected areas of your property)
- The loss adjuster will likely take some photos and ask you some questions about the incident
- The loss adjuster will document their findings and send a report to QBE
- In certain circumstances, the loss adjuster may require specialists’ advice – they will let you know if this is required
- If the loss adjuster identifies any repairs that need to be completed by you before repair work can commence, the loss adjuster will advise you and QBE.
If your claim is accepted:
- The loss adjuster will arrange suppliers and service providers relevant to your claim
- The loss adjuster will talk you through the builder’s Scope of Works and help you confirm that all the necessary items are included
- The loss adjuster will keep you informed of the progress of your claim and tell you what to expect next
- It’s quite normal to find more damage caused by the event after the repair process has commenced. Should this happen the loss adjuster will report the details back to QBE to commence the approval process.
Once the job is complete:
- The loss adjuster will confirm that all repairs/replacement has been completed to your satisfaction and the claim will be closed.
Frequently asked questions
The key role of a loss adjuster is to:
- be the link between you (the policy holder) and QBE. They are the managers of the claim process and the communication link
- assess the cause and the value of the loss within your policy coverage
- manage the claim until it is resolved in an empathetic and understanding way
- recommend recovery from a third party where the opportunity presents
Based on your policy. They will make a recommendation to QBE in relation to acceptance of your claim (subject to their agreement and policy limits which may apply).
If further damage is discovered the loss adjuster will discuss it with you, or QBE will assess whether it’s covered under your policy. If so, it will be added to the builder’s scope of work.
The assessment period can vary depending on the extent of the damage. As a general guide, you can expect to hear whether your claim has been accepted in whole or in part within 10 business days of our inspection. If further specialists’ reports are required, timeframes will be discussed with you.
Once you have paid your policy excess and confirmed acceptance of the scope of work, the loss adjuster will tell you how long the repairs expect to take, however there are some factors that may have an impact on this:
- the type and extent of the damage and whether multiple tradespeople will need to be involved
- the availability of repair materials/restoration equipment
- the weather.
Once the work gets underway, the loss adjuster will keep you informed of progress.
You may be able to request changes however you may be responsible if additional costs are incurred.
If you have any complaints, you can raise them first with the loss adjuster, then the QBE claims team. Should your complaint remain unresolved, the QBE Customer Care Team will independently review it. Their contact details are 1300 650 503.