Our CTP cover

If you, or one of your people, causes a motor vehicle accident in which someone else is injured, your CTP insurance covers the cost of their compensation claim. This includes other drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders. It doesn’t cover damage to your, or anyone else’s, vehicle or property – for that you’ll need Commercial Motor insurance.

In Queensland you nominate a CTP provider when you register your vehicles. You can switch to QBE on the spot if the rego is due, or nominate us in advance if it’s due later.

Frequently Asked Questions

CTP insurance is compulsory insurance privately underwritten by licensed insurers. It compensates third parties for bodily injury caused by other negligent ‘at-fault’ drivers. This cover includes the driver(s) and passengers in other vehicle(s) involved in the accident, passengers in your vehicle, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders. It’s included in the registration cost of your vehicle through the Department of Transport and Main Roads.

The Queensland Government legislated in 1936 for CTP insurance to be made compulsory and provide protection to people injured as a result of the actions of other negligent drivers. The intention of CTP coverage is to protect the injured person for ongoing medical and hospital costs, general damages, loss of income and, in the case of severe injuries, the ongoing care of the injured person, which may be for the rest of their life.

As the title suggests, a third party is everyone else involved in the accident, which includes the drivers and passengers of all vehicles involved, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders.

Your CTP policy covers the cost of injuries to third parties if the person driving your vehicle is at-fault.

Your CTP policy only covers claims made against you for injuries to third parties in an accident. It doesn’t cover any accidental damage to the other vehicle or to property, nor any damage to your vehicle as a result of an accident.

If you’re injured in an accident and the driver of another vehicle is deemed to be at-fault, you could be entitled to CTP insurance benefits. This would be covered by the insurer of the other vehicle. If you’re at-fault in the accident, you’ll have no cover under the Queensland CTP Scheme Legislation.

As long as your vehicle is currently registered through the Department of Transport and Main Roads and therefore has a CTP policy in force, claims against you for your negligent driving will be managed on your behalf by your CTP insurer.

CTP insurance costs are set by the Queensland Government’s Motor Accident Insurance Commission on a quarterly basis. Rates take into account the frequency of accidents, the average claims costs for the class of vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle has a right to claim a GST Input Tax Credit and an amount for the CTP insurer’s administration and claims handling costs.

Business premiums (which have an Input Tax entitlement) will provide you with a tax invoice and you can claim the GST. Your Vehicle Registration Notice will show either (NO ITCE) for a ‘private’ premium or (YES ITCE) for a ‘business’ premium. If you believe your tax status is incorrect contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80 (select Option 1 and then Option 3). They’ll issue a new Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice, which can take up to 14 days.

Please note – if your vehicle registration expires during this change process you’ll be charged a loading for the late payment.

There are differences in service levels and premiums. There are also differences in the DriverProtect cover. It’s important to decide which best meets your needs as the maximum claim per policy currently ranges from $250,000 up to $2 million.

It depends on the registration status of your vehicle:

  • If you’re buying a brand new (or unregistered) vehicle from a dealer, advise them of your choice of CTP insurer
  • If your CTP is due for renewal, you can choose your CTP insurer as long as the registration is not past the due date shown on the Renewal Notice
  • If your vehicle is currently registered interstate you can select your new CTP insurer when you register your vehicle in Queensland
  • If your vehicle is currently unregistered you can choose your CTP provider.

If you purchase CTP insurance but don’t register your vehicle with the Department of Transport and Main Roads within 30 days, simply return the original certificate to your CTP insurer for a full refund of your premium. If you’re mid-term through your registration period, you need to cancel your CTP policy with the Department of Transport and Main Roads. Any refund will be included in your registration refund cheque from the Department when you hand in your registration plates.

If your vehicle is registered when you sell it, your CTP insurance automatically transfers to the new owner with the registration. If you deregister your vehicle before selling it, any refund for your CTP insurance will be included in your registration refund cheque from the Department of Transport and Main Roads when you hand in your registration plates.

A fleet is 10 or more vehicles.

You might also be interested in...

Public Liability

Operate with confidence knowing you’re covered if a third party claims against you for property damage or personal injury caused by your people or products.

Commercial Motor

Flexible cover for any number of business vehicles, with policies designed to meet your needs. For everything from cars, utes and vans to trucks and earth movers.

Workers Compensation

Essential cover for your workers, delivered by experts. We also provide specialist training and advice to help your people and business thrive.