Your clients rely on you to deliver quality services and advice. And despite your best efforts, there’s always a chance that either something can go wrong or an allegation of something having gone wrong be made – potentially leaving you or your employees on the wrong end of legal action and a claim for compensation.

If you’re an accountant who provides tax advice, a designer providing design, or an IT specialist who installs software, the costs to defend your business against an allegation or claim, whether you are liable or not, can be astronomical. Let alone the costs for compensation if you’re found liable.

What is Professional Indemnity insurance in Australia?

Professional Indemnity insurance, also known as Professional Liability insurance or Errors and Omissions cover, protects businesses that provide advice or services for a fee.

It covers claims made against you for alleged negligence or breach of duty arising from an act, error or omission in the performance of your professional advice or service. 

What does Professional Indemnity insurance cover*?

* Covers listed are subject to terms and conditions. Limits, sub-limits and exclusions apply.

Public Liability

Civil liabilities claims

Arising from breach of duty, unintentional defamation, unintentional infringement of intellectual property, loss of or damage to documents.

Public Liability

Bodily injury and property damage claims

Arising from the professional services covered by the policy.

Public Liability

Legal costs and expenses

Costs of investigating, attending to court, defending and settling claims.

Public Liability

Public Relations expenses

Costs of engaging a public relations consultant to protect your reputation.

Public Liability

Estates and legal representatives

In the event of your death or incapacity, we provide cover for your estate, heirs and legal representatives for claims arising from professional services provided.

Which Professional Indemnity insurance cover is right for you?

Professional Indemnity insurance in Australia is available for a wide range of businesses that provide specialised or expert advice for a fee. In some cases, you even may be required by law to have Professional Indemnity Insurance, so be careful to understand your legal obligations which vary by profession and state.

The right cover for you will depend on the industry you work in and the type of advice or services you provide. QBE provides tailored cover for small and large businesses across a wide range of industries, which can include:

  • Accountants
  • Agronomist and agricultural consultants
  • Architecture and engineering consulting professionals
  • Building energy consultants
  • General insurance agents
  • Human Resources professionals
  • Interior designer
  • Loss assessors or loss adjusters
  • Management consultants
  • Marketing media and publishing industry
  • Real estate agents
  • Registered BAS agents and bookkeepers
  • Risk management professionals
  • Swimming pool inspectors
  • Training organisations
  • Travel agents
  • Veterinarians
  • Work health and safety consultants
  • Insurance brokers can provide expert advice to help you get the right cover for your business, so contact your broker to discuss your needs and arrange a Professional Indemnity insurance quote.

    Expert support from cover to claim

    We have dedicated Professional Indemnity underwriting and claims teams who look for solutions to cover business risks, no matter how unusual or complex.

    Our financial strength and ability to cover a wide range of industries prove that we’re in it for the long haul. And because we understand that Professional Indemnity claims can be long-lasting, you can rest assured we’ll be around to provide expertise and support throughout the entire claims journey.

    How to buy Professional Indemnity insurance

    Our Professional Indemnity insurance is available through brokers and QBE authorised representatives. They’ll ensure your cover works for you. And if you need to make a claim, they’ll guide you through our claims process.

    Need a broker? If you don’t have a reliable personal recommendation, the National Insurance Brokers Association (NIBA)* can help you find an accredited broker. Or see our guide to finding the right broker.

    *The brokers on this site are not employees or agents of QBE, but are independent entities. QBE is not responsible for any advice provided to you by any broker on this site. Any such advice is the responsibility of the broker concerned.

    Frequently asked questions

    Professional Indemnity insurance can help protect any business occupation that provides a professional service or skilful advice to other businesses or people for a fee, regardless of whether it’s a small or large business.

    Some of the things Professional Indemnity insurance doesn’t cover include:

    • Bodily injury that is not related directly from a breach of your business professional duty
    • Claims made before the period of insurance
    • Terrorism claims made against you.

    Every business is different, so the industry you operate in and the services you provide will impact the cost of your policy.

    Some occupations (e.g. real estate agents and accountants) require a certain limit of Professional Indemnity insurance cover to operate by law. Other professionals might work on contracts that require to hold a minimum amount of Professional Indemnity insurance.

    No matter what industry you are in, or the size of your business, it’s important to have the right level of Professional Indemnity insurance to protect your business’ finances and reputation. Your broker can help you understand how much that will cost.

    Professional Indemnity and Public Liability insurance both protect your business against third party claims resulting from liabilities that arise from your business activities.

    The key difference is that Public Liability insurance covers you for bodily injury and property damage, whereas Professional indemnity covers you for the professional service provided to clients.

    A Professional Indemnity insurance policy in force covers you for allegations made, regardless of when the professional service was provided.

    By contrast, a Public Liability insurance policy would cover you when the alleged incident occurs during the policy period, even if the claim is filed after the policy has expired.

    Management Liability insurance protects business owners, directors and officers and the company itself from claims related to the act of running the business. Anyone who owns or is involved in the management of a company carries specific responsibilities which may leave them personally liable for allegations of mismanagement, misconduct or legislative breaches. Management Liability is often offered as a packaged product including Directors and Officers Liability, Corporate Liability, Employment Practice Liability, Crime and Statutory Liability.

    Professional Indemnity insurance covers the advice or service you provide to your clients for a fee. Management Liability Insurance covers the act of running your business. A Management Liability policy will protect your business and personal assets against legal costs for allegations of mismanagement (including employment related issues), misconduct or legislative breaches.
    We have dedicated Professional Indemnity Claims teams in each state ready to help. To lodge a claim contact your broker or email QBE directly on piclaims@qbe.com 

    You might also be interested in...

    Commercial Motor 

    Flexible cover for any number of business vehicles, with policies designed to meet your needs. For everything from cars, utes and vans to trucks and earth movers.

    Public Liability

    Third party injury, property damage and advertising liability claims can be costly. Protect your business with cover tailored to your needs.


    Management Liability

    Covers directors and officers of private companies and offers some protection to the organisation itself, including employment practices liability and fidelity coverage.

    Business insurance explained

    Business insurance
    10 key considerations for your small business insurance policy
    Business insurance
    How to avoid underinsurance in business