15 Mar 2023
CTP and Green Slips explained: a state by state guide

CTP and Green Slips explained: a state by state guide

This article was originally published in December 2019 and has been updated.

  • CTP insurance is mandatory in Australia
  • CTP covers the cost of compensation claims of injury to others
  • States and territories manage CTP differently

There can be confusion around what Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance is, how it works and what it covers. Here’s CTP explained.

You need CTP insurance if you register a motor vehicle in Australia. CTP insurance (also known as a Green Slip in New South Wales) covers the cost of third-party compensation claims if you, or anyone driving your car, injures someone in an accident.

CTP covers the cost of the injured person’s medical treatment, lost earnings or, in more serious cases, ongoing care. If they die, it may also compensate their relatives. Third parties include other drivers, passengers, pedestrians, motorcyclists, and cyclists.

CTP doesn’t cover the cost of damage to vehicles or property. For that, you’ll need car insurance.

CTP explained: How does CTP work in Australia?

CTP insurance is compulsory in all states and territories of Australia, which means you can’t register your vehicle without a policy. But, how CTP works varies from state to state. States also have different requirements for safety and identity checks needed before registration.

New South Wales

In NSW, vehicle owners can buy their CTP insurance – or Green Slip – from six licensed insurers,1 including QBE. They need to purchase CTP before registering a vehicle.

All CTP insurance policies have the same level of protection, but some insurers may offer additional cover. You can use the NSW Green Slip Price Check website to compare quotes.

NSW has a ‘no fault’ CTP scheme, which covers all injured people regardless of fault (unless the State charges you with a serious driving offence).2 You can claim up to 26 weeks of benefits if you’re at fault or mostly at fault.3

Get a quote and buy QBE CTP insurance.

Mother talking to children in car on road trip


In QLD, vehicle owners can choose between four insurers licensed to provide CTP insurance in the state, including QBE.4

You can select your preferred insurer at the time of registration, or nominate to change your CTP insurer online while the vehicle is registered. The change of insurer will come into effect at the beginning of your next registration period.5

Check out the benefits of switching to QBE CTP.

South Australia

Since 2019, South Australians have been able to choose from five government-approved CTP insurers, including QBE. You select your preferred CTP provider when you renew your registration.

Direct debit customers can change their insurer any time at mySAGOV. This will take effect from the next scheduled payment.6

Simply select QBE if you’d like to switch to QBE’s CTP insurance.

Australian Capital Territory

In 2020, the ACT introduced a ‘no fault’ CTP scheme called the Motor Accident Injuries Scheme.7

QBE doesn’t provide CTP insurance for vehicles registered in ACT, but you can select from four insurers when you renew your registration.

How do I get CTP in other states and territories?

Other states include CTP as part of the vehicle registration fee, which means you can’t choose your insurer.

Woman sitting in camper van in forest and using smartphone


The Transport Accident Charge forms part of the registration fee. Once you pay the charge, the Transport Accident Commission (the sole insurer of the scheme) insures your vehicle.8

Western Australia

The Motor Injury Insurance scheme provides CTP as part of vehicle registration. WA’s ‘fault’ scheme only covers catastrophic injuries suffered by an at-fault driver if no other driver is negligent.9

Northern Territory

The NT Motor Accidents Compensation (MAC) scheme is a ‘no fault’ CTP scheme covered by the NT motor registration fee.10


The Motor Accidents Insurance Board provides CTP in Tasmania. It’s a ‘no fault’ scheme covered by the registration fee.11

1 How to buy a Green Slip – SIRA
2 How to buy a Green Slip – SIRA
3 How to buy a Green Slip – SIRA
4 CTP insurers – MAIC
5 CTP insurers – MAIC
6 Purchasing CTP | CTP Insurance Regulator
7 Renewing vehicle registration – Access Canberra
8 Indemnity provided by the transport accident charge – TAC
9 Motor Injury Insurance – Government of WA – Department of Transport
10 About MACC | NT Motor Accidents Compensation Commission
11 About the MAIB – Motor Accidents Insurance Board

Frequently Asked Questions

CTP and Green Slips explained in more detail.

CTP insurance is compulsory in all states and territories of Australia, which means you can’t register your vehicle without a policy. It’s separate from any other car insurance policy.

In NSW, QLD, SA and the ACT, you can change CTP insurers when you renew your registration. In QLD, you can also change CTP insurers ahead of your renewal.

Once you’ve taken up the policy, it lasts for the registration period.

Yes, CTP insurance is compulsory for motorbikes, to cover people accidentally injured by bikes.

CTP insurance is compulsory in all states and territories of Australia, which means you can’t register your vehicle without a policy. Driving without CTP and registration is illegal and can result in hefty fines.

Yes. Insurers link CTP to vehicles, not owners, and transfer it along with registration.

CTP doesn’t cover damage to vehicles, property or possessions. For that, you’ll need car insurance. It covers physical injury, but whether it covers you if you’re at fault differs from state to state.

No, comprehensive car insurance doesn’t include CTP.

No, you’ll need a separate car insurance policy to cover vehicle and property theft or damage.

Get a QBE Comprehensive Car Insurance or Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance quote.

Find your CTP provider and registration details below.

This advice is general in nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and may not be right for you. You must decide whether or not it is appropriate, in light of your own circumstances, to act on this advice. To decide if QBE’s products are right for you, please ensure you obtain and consider the Policy Wording or Product Disclosure Statements and Target Market Determinations, available online at QBE.com/au. Insurance issued and underwritten by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239545).

Related articles

Understanding car insurance: CTP, comprehensive and third party car cover explained

25 Oct 2023

Not sure what car insurance you need? Learn the difference between CTP green slip, comprehensive car insurance and third party property damage car insurance.

Read article

Top CTP questions answered

04 Apr 2023

There’s a lot of confusion around Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. Read the answers to come of the top questions about what CTP covers.

Read more

CTP and Green Slips explained: a state by state guide

15 Mar 2023

Compulsory Third Party insurance is mandatory in Australia, but it differs from state to state. Whether you’re in NSW, SA, QLD or ACT, we’re here to help.

Read article

Interested in QBE CTP insurance?