11 Mar 2024
Accidental damage insurance explained

Accidental damage insurance explained

  • If your home insurance includes cover for accidental damage, it can cover unforeseen mishaps around the home that can occur in everyday life
  • It can be included as standard, or as an optional extra that can be added to your home and/or contents insurance policy
  • Accidental damage to carpets, furniture, kitchen appliances, TVs and more could be covered with an accidental damage option

No matter how careful we are, accidents can still happen around the home. While standard home and contents insurance can cover you for damage from events like storm damage, burst pipes, and fallen trees, accidental damage insurance can cover you for things like red wine spills, laptop drops, or children's toys thrown through TV screens.

If your policy doesn’t include accidental damage cover as standard, you can add it to your home and contents policy to protect you from those mishaps.

Here we answer some questions to help you understand this handy coverage option.

Does home insurance cover accidental damage?

In most cases home insurance won’t include accidental damage as a standard part of your cover. So, it’s important to read your policy documentation, including your product disclosure statement (PDS), to find out the specifics of your policy.

Many insurers, including QBE, offer accidental damage cover as an optional extra to complement your home insurance.

Who is accidental damage designed for?

It could be particularly useful for people with kids, as they can be more prone to accidents that cause damage to a home and its belongings. But mishaps can happen no matter how careful we are, so if you have home and or contents insurance, it could be worth considering upgrading your policy to include accidental damage.

Accidental damage insurance - blue paint spilled on the carpet

What does accidental damage insurance cover?

Accidental damage insurance can cover accidents that happen in everyday life. Here are a few scenarios where your home and belongings could be protected under QBE’s Accidental Damage option.

  • Thanks to an indoor ball game, your TV screen is smashed
  • The kids decide the toilet is a great hiding spot for your mobile phone
  • While taking in the morning news, you spill your coffee on your personal laptop

QBE’s Accidental Damage option won’t cover damage to belongings that are used for earning income. Here are a few examples where your belongings typically wouldn’t be covered under QBE’s Accidental Damage.

  • Your business laptop falls from the kitchen bench leaving its screen smashed and keyboard broken
  • While riding his bike, your son crashes into the back fence, damaging the bike’s wheels
  • When flying your drone, you accidently crash it into a brick wall shattering it

Regardless of the insurer you choose, it’s important to read any relevant policy documentation and the PDS to understand exactly what’s included and excluded from the policy.

Is it worth getting accidental damage cover with your home insurance?

Accidents can cause expensive damage to your valuable contents like TVs, laptops, carpets and furniture. So, it’s worth weighing up the likelihood of unexpected mishaps and the value of your contents.

It’s also important to think about other considerations like your basic excess. To get started, try this handy contents calculator to estimate the value of your belongings.

Accidental damage insurance - holding a damaged laptop

How does accidental damage cover work?

Let’s say you’re painting a feature wall in your lounge room. As you come down the ladder, you accidentally knock the open tin of paint all over your carpet. The carpet is damaged beyond repair. And, as the carpet extends into the dining room, this needs to be replaced too.

The good news is, you have QBE Home Insurance with an Accidental Damage option. Your contents sum insured is $70,000 with a basic excess of $500.

In this instance, QBE would pay the cost to replace the carpet in both the lounge and dining room (given the dimensions, they are considered as one room).

The cost of replacing the carpet is $7,000. After you pay your basic excess of $500, QBE would cover the remaining balance of $6,500.

What does it cost?

In most cases, you can add Accidental Damage cover for an extra premium. The cost can depend on many factors, such as information about your home, the sum insured of your contents, who lives in your home, and the basic excess you’ve selected.

To find out how much it could cost, get a QBE Home Insurance quote today.


This advice is general in nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and may not be right for you. You must decide whether or not it is appropriate, in light of your own circumstances, to act on this advice. To decide if QBE’s products are right for you, please ensure you obtain and consider the Policy Wording or Product Disclosure Statements and Target Market Determinations, available online at QBE.com/au. Insurance issued and underwritten by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239545).

Home insurance and lifestyle articles

Liability cover: the little-known benefit included in your home insurance

13 Mar 2024

Did you know public liability is included in home insurance and landlord insurance? Learn about this valuable benefit.

Read article

Accidental damage insurance explained

11 Mar 2024

Rowdy guests and wobbly toddlers can lead to accidents in your home. That’s why it helps to be covered. See our guide to find out more.

Read article

What insurance do I need for my apartment?

07 Mar 2024

Whether you’re an owner or renter, there are several things to consider when it comes to insuring your possessions in an apartment.

Read article
Read further articles

Interested in QBE Home Insurance?