We understand our customers may find themselves in circumstances, at different times in their lives, where they need extra help.

At QBE, we’re committed to working with our partners to identify and support customers experiencing vulnerability.

How to recognise customers who are experiencing vulnerability

A vulnerable person is someone who, because of personal circumstances or the actions of others, is susceptible to harm, loss or disadvantage. Vulnerability can be temporary or ongoing and it can be gradual or sudden. Anyone can become vulnerable at any point in time.

There are different types of vulnerability:

  • Financial and literacy
  • Mental and physical health
  • Cultural background
  • Geographic location (including remote communities)
  • Special circumstances such as recent job loss, divorce or bereavement
  • Family and domestic violence.

Some customers might tell you directly they are experiencing vulnerability, or someone else like a relative, friend or supplier might let you know. A customer’s language, behaviour or circumstances can also help you recognise that they need help.

How to respond

When a customer needs help it’s important to:

  • Ask “are you ok?”
  • Respond with empathy and listen carefully to understand if there’s anything you can do to help
  • Let the conversation take its course without judgement or a preconceived outcome.

Interpreter services

QBE offers customers access to interpreter services in over 160 languages and dialects from native and accredited language practitioners.

If you have an existing claim or complaint and need access to an interpreter, please contact your Claims Officer or Dispute Resolution Officer directly.

Professional support

There are a number of external support services available to anyone in Australia experiencing vulnerability. These services are free to access, and we encourage you to share them with any customers you identify might need professional support.

However, in an emergency, or if a customer is not feeling safe, they should always call 000.

Professional support

There are also free external support services available if you’re facing challenging personal circumstances and need help. These services are available to all Australians. However, in an emergency, or if you’re not feeling safe, always call 000.
Service  Number/website About 
National Debt Line

1800 007 007
9.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday

Provides access to a local financial advisor.

Service  Number/website About 
Translating and Interpreting Services (TIS) 13 14 50
TIS National is a 24/07 interpreting service for people who do not speak English and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.
Services Australia https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au
Government services available for both students and older Australians.

Service  Number/website About 
Lifeline 13 11 14 (24-hour crisis support) 24-hour support for anyone across Australia experiencing a personal crisis or thinking about suicide.
MensLine Australia 1300 789 978 24-hour phone and online support and information service for Australian men. Supports men and boys who are dealing with family and relationship difficulties.
 National Relay Service (NRS)

Voice: 1300 555 727
TTY: 133 677
SMS: 0432 677 767

NRS is an Australia wide telephone access service available to customers who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impediment.

Service  Number/website  About
1800 Respect 1800 737 732 24-hour hotline for any Australian who has experienced, or is at risk of, family and domestic violence and/or sexual assault.
Women's Legal Services Australia http://www.wlsa.org.au/
A national network of community legal centres specialising in women's legal issues.
Aboriginal Family Domestic Violence Hotline 1800 019 123 A dedicated contact line for Aboriginal victims of crime who would like information on victims' rights, how to access counselling and financial assistance.

Service Number/website   About
Centre for Rural and Remote Mental Health (02) 6363 8444 Provides leadership in rural and remote mental health research, evidence-based service design and delivery. They do not provide emergency services.

Service Number/website  About
GriefLine https://griefline.org.au/
Support for people experiencing grief, loss and trauma.
Relationships Australia 1300 551 800 Relationship support services for individuals and families, including counselling, family dispute resolution and education support programs.

Service Number/webiste  About
STARTTS 02 9646 6800 STARTTS' services are free for people of any age who have survived torture, trauma or both and are refugees, asylum seekers, or from refugee-like backgrounds.
National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation https://www.naccho.org.au/
National peak body representing Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services across the country on Aboriginal health and wellbeing issues.

How we can help

Our QBE teams are here to help you support customers who might need extra help with their policy or claim during difficult times. We can work with you to look at individual circumstances and can provide information on available support and relief options.

For support regarding customer claims you can contact the assigned Claims Officer or our claims team. For help with a customer policy, please contact your Business Relationship Manager or Underwriter.

You can also find more information in the following policy and support information pages: