If you’re a renter, QBE Contents Insurance can cover your belongings. Having contents insurance means that, should your belongings be damaged or destroyed by an event like a fire, flood, earthquake or theft, we can pay to repair or replace them.

Not sure how much cover you need? This will depend on what it would cost to replace your belongings at today’s prices. This means you’ll need to spend some time thinking about all the items within your home that may need to be repaired or replaced in case of things like theft, fire or flood. This often includes items such as televisions, furniture, white goods, laptops, mobile phones, clothing, jewellery and artworks. You can use the contents insurance calculator to help estimate the replacement cost.

Find out more about QBE Contents Insurance.

Why choose QBE Contents Insurance?

At QBE, we know not every household contains the same contents, which is why our contents insurance for renters and strata owner-occupiers is flexible. Choose the amount of cover and tell us if you’ve got any high-value items you’d like covered.

You can add cover for accidental damage and/or portable contents away from home for an additional premium.

We’ve been insuring Australians for over 130 years.

We provide 24/7 friendly claims service.

We offer up to $30 million legal liability cover.

What's included in the cover

Standard features and insured events

  • Fire, theft and malicious damage

  • Legal liability up to $30 million anywhere in the world

  • Temporary accommodation up to 6 weeks

  • Extreme weather e.g. storm or flood

  • Natural disasters e.g. earthquake or tsunami

  • Damage from water that's escaped

  • Broken glass (accidental)

  • Damage by explosion

  • Food spoilage

  • Burnout of electric motors, if up to 10 years old

  • Cover for contents while moving

Not included

  • Wear and tear

  • Previous damage that hasn't been repaired

  • Rust, corrosion, gradual deterioration

  • Rising damp, seepage, mould, mildew, rot

  • Action of the sea

  • Damage caused by your pet

  • Damage to sporting equipment while being used

Optional benefits

Accidental damage

Cover for things like where your friend’s child who’s visiting accidentally smashes your television screen with a ball.

Portable contents

Cover away from home, for items such as mobile phones and bicycles.

Tips to help lower your premium

Choice of optional upgrades

You can choose the upgrades that are relevant to your needs.

Flexible excess

Choosing a higher basic excess can lower your premium. Consider a basic excess you can afford to pay at short notice if you need to make a claim.

Pay upfront

Pay less for your contents insurance premium when you pay annually.

What customers say about QBE home insurance

Insuring Australians for over 130 years.

Save 10% on new contents insurance online!

Buy a new QBE Contents Insurance policy online today and you’ll save 10%!

Renters insurance

Six great unknown things about renters insurance

Renters are responsible for their own belongings at the property they’re renting. Renter’s insurance – also known as contents insurance – means you can make a claim for the costs to repair or replace lost, stolen or damaged belongings or negligent damage to another person’s property.


Does renters insurance cover that? 10 FAQs answered

Here are the answers to some of the most common things people want to know about renters or contents insurance and information about what is and isn’t covered.

Insurance calculators

Contents insurance calculator

You can use the contents insurance estimate calculator to figure out roughly how much it would cost to replace your belongings with new items. By providing general information about your home the calculator can provide an estimated contents value and summary that you can further edit for a more detailed result if you wish.

This Home Insurance is issued and underwritten by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035, AFSL 239545). Any advice provided is general only and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and may not be right for you. To decide if this product is right for you, please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and the Target Market Determination (TMD).

Need more help?

Call us on 133 723

Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat 8am-1.30pm (AET)